New Chevy Cruze Is Best Small Car GM

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've had quite a few GM compacts over the last 20 years ( you cand feel sorry for me now
wink.gif
) I've had very few problems with any of them. My current fleet (03,04 Cavalier 06 Cobalt) have been quite solid of the years. The cobalt has been quite quirky at times, but has never let me down. While I realize they are no where near the level of other cars (like the civic)-they have always got me where I needed to go....cheap!

Seen the new Cruze hatch on the streets....love it! Reminds me of the Mazda 3 in many ways. Will I get one? Probably not. Why? It's going to start at 23k (dealer said most on lot will sticker 25-27k) At that point, I could get an Nox LS...(or wait and get a Jeep Patriot cheap). Most dealers around here don't even offer the LS sedan, saying they are for fleet mostly. And they won't sell you an L version...

While I realize the car is a little bit bigger than our cavalier sedan, it shouldn't cost 27k either.....

Originally Posted By: daves87rs

Most dealers around here don't even offer the LS sedan, saying they are for fleet mostly. And they won't sell you an L version...

If you go to a large enough dealer that does fleet sales I'm sure they could order you the L version which is a staple of rental fleets and company cars or they might have a few on the lot that weren't actually bought by the fleet buyers...

But you CAN order these models and if you are willing to put a deposit down they will do this.

Originally Posted By: funflyer
Originally Posted By: HighViscosity
And I understand the Prius engines are wearing out after 100k because of all the start/stop like a golf cart.

Where did this understanding come from? It couldn't be more wrong. Truth is, you should be more worried about a Cadillac at 100K miles than any Prius at 200K or more.

My son works for a large Toyota dealership, working on them, and sealing the oil systems for consumption tests. Perhaps he "couldn't be more wrong" and should work on them 16 hours a day instead of 9. Compared to something like a Camry or Corolla, he says the Prius motors aren't holding up nearly as well. My last Northstar (04 Deville) went 416k miles on the original motor, then I donated it. Yes I know they normally don't last that long, but a lot of it was highway driving. Cadillac is [censored] compared to Lexus, but I like the feel of the big Cadillac, I just buy more parts.
cool.gif

The best car I ever owned was an 89 Camry. It lasted for 269k miles before getting T-boned and totaled, Used the usual stuff like brake pads and rotors, 2 exhaust systems, spark plugs, etc, but it never broke down, and never even had to replace a tie-rod. I'd buy another one if they still made it.

Last edited:
Most dealers around here don't even offer the LS sedan, saying they are for fleet mostly. And they won't sell you an L version...

That's a large part of the reason we ended up with an LS IMO, you don't see many on dealer's lots around here and they seem to sit when you do see them, plus the MT on ours makes it unpopular in these parts.

Originally Posted By: GiveMeAVowel

If you go to a large enough dealer that does fleet sales I'm sure they could order you the L version which is a staple of rental fleets and company cars or they might have a few on the lot that weren't actually bought by the fleet buyers...

But you CAN order these models and if you are willing to put a deposit down they will do this.

Believe it or not...I thought about it.

Two of my local Chevy dealerships were told no on L models unless the customer was buying a bunch of them!

Originally Posted By: 99Saturn

That's a large part of the reason we ended up with an LS IMO, you don't see many on dealer's lots around here and they seem to sit when you do see them, plus the MT on ours makes it unpopular in these parts.

Which is strange...because up to about the middle of the 2014 model year, there used to be a good mix of models on their lots...

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Originally Posted By: grampi
The verdict is still out on how the Cruz will hold up long term. When the big 3 starts building compacts that will go 300K on a regular basis like the Japanese makes do, then they'll get my consideration, but there's no way in H E double hockey sticks I'm paying anywhere close to $30K for ANY compact...I don't care how it's equipped...

Audi A3, BMW 3-series and MB C-class have base price about $30k, plus options it can be as high as mid to high $40k.

If you look at full options of Audi S3, BMW M3 and MB AMG C63 it can be more than $50-60k.

All of the cars above are compact.

Only A3 is compact from the list above. Mercedes C and 3 series are not. Even if they were can't see the point of comparing Korean engineered low end compact with premium cars. GM actually have better compact on sale in Europe ( Opel Astra) , not in a same league as A3, 1 series, but very good cars for less money.

I wonder why GM is reluctant to offer better cars on his domestic market? It makes no sense.

Originally Posted By: chrisri

I wonder why GM is reluctant to offer better cars on his domestic market? It makes no sense.

GM does.

The Opel Astra H was previously offered in hatch form as the Saturn Astra. It didn't sell and was canceled (along with the rest of the Saturn brand).

The Opel Astra J is currently offered in sedan form as the Buick Verano. It didn't sell well and 2017 is the last model year.

Currently, the Opel Insignia is sold as the Buick Regal and the Opel Cascada is sold over here as a Buick as well.

Here's the thing about American car buying: We have no incentives to buy a small car. Gas is (generally) inexpensive and we aren't taxed on vehicles size, engine displacement, or CO2 emissions. That really limits the appeal of a "premium" compact car.

GM has tried to sell premium compacts. It didn't work. In the meantime, their bread-and-butter compact, the Cruze, has been a consistent seller. I'd say GM is reluctant to offer "better" cars because customers don't think they're worth the extra money.

The deal-breaker for me is that Chevy is starting to import Cruzes (Cruzi?) from Mexico, and the upcoming hatch is going to be built exclusively in Mexico for import here.

And yes, I know that Ford builds the Fusion, Fiesta, and will build the Focus in Mexico. I really hate the fact that I have to look at a foreign brand to have a better chance of the car being built in the US. When the time comes to replace a vehicle, I plan to use up the rebate I have on my GM Card and will likely cancel the card after that.

Originally Posted By: opus1
The deal-breaker for me is that Chevy is starting to import Cruzes (Cruzi?) from Mexico, and the upcoming hatch is going to be built exclusively in Mexico for import here.

See, I don't understand this line of thinking. GM turned to Mexican production at Ramos Arizpe because Lordstown is at capacity. They're running three shifts in Ohio and still need more vehicles. Ramos is picking up that excess need. It's a bad thing that people want to buy the car and GM is adapting to demand? What is the alternative? Not build and sell as many cars?

For the hatch, Ramos already builds a hatch for other markets. Stamping is already done there and all the tooling is already in place for hatch assembly. Lordstown isn't tooled for hatch assembly. Hatchback demand is an unknown at this point and I'd imagine production will be limited when compared to the sedan. Why would GM make a significant capital investment based on unknown demand when there is already a plant available that builds the hatchback and has the capacity to build in the quantities needed? Also, as noted above, Lordstown can't build enough sedans as it is. How are they going to add another variant to a plant that already running three shifts?

It's such a conflicting sentiment. If you want GM to keep building cars in America, GM needs to be healthy. To be healthy, GM needs flexibility and adaptability in their manufacturing.

Seen the new Cruze hatch on the streets....love it! Reminds me of the Mazda 3 in many ways.

Are you sure you weren't looking at a Hyundai Elantra? The Cruze hatch isn't available until Fall.

Cruze_zpswf5ljybq.jpg

Originally Posted By: WylieCoyote
Seen the new Cruze hatch on the streets....love it! Reminds me of the Mazda 3 in many ways.

Are you sure you weren't looking at a Hyundai Elantra? The Cruze hatch isn't available until Fall.

Cruze_zpswf5ljybq.jpg

I wouldn't be surprised if a small number of them haven't already arrived to pique interest. It isn't uncommon, if production is ramping up that could have been a latest date for availability.

I'm interested to know if Chevy will offer the hatch with the diesel engine and manual transmission.

Originally Posted By: opus1

And yes, I know that Ford builds the Fusion, Fiesta, and will build the Focus in Mexico. I really hate the fact that I have to look at a foreign brand to have a better chance of the car being built in the US. When the time comes to replace a vehicle, I plan to use up the rebate I have on my GM Card and will likely cancel the card after that.

Speaking of Ford Fiesta,I saw one with the window sticker on it and it said "Engine made in Mexico. Transmission made in China".

grampi said:
The verdict is still out on how the Cruz will hold up long term. When the big 3 starts building compacts that will go 300K on a regular basis like the Japanese makes do, then they'll get my consideration, but there's no way in H E double hockey sticks I'm paying anywhere close to $30K for ANY compact...I don't care how it's equipped...

Audi A3, BMW 3-series and MB C-class have base price about $30k, plus options it can be as high as mid to high $40k.

If you look at full options of Audi S3, BMW M3 and MB AMG C63 it can be more than $50-60k.

All of the cars above are compact.

Only A3 is compact from the list above. Mercedes C and 3 series are not. Even if they were can't see the point of comparing Korean engineered low end compact with premium cars. GM actually have better compact on sale in Europe ( Opel Astra) , not in a same league as A3, 1 series, but very good cars for less money.

According to United State EPA, all cars on my list(Audi A3, BMW 3-series and MB C-class) are compact cars, EPA's classification of car's size is the official. Car rental companies may classify their vehicles differently but it is not official.

Read grampi's post again, I underline what he said: "there's no way in H E double hockey sticks I'm paying anywhere close to $30K for ANY compact". That why I mentioned these compact cars with MSRP's above $30k.

I didn't try to compare Chevy Cruze with European Luxury Vehicles.

The only cars that can compare with European Luxury Vehicles are Tesla and probably Cadillac and Corvette ZR1(?) ...

According to United State EPA, all cars on my list(Audi A3, BMW 3-series and MB C-class) are compact cars, EPA's classification of car's size is the official.

The EPA classes vehicles based on interior and cargo volume, not exterior dimensions. Thus, you get ridiculous classifications like a BMW 6-series Gran Coupe and Rolls Royce Phantom Coupe being compact cars and a Mazda 3 and Toyota Corolla as being midsize.

According to the EPA, a Rolls Royce that is 221 inches long and weighs 5,700 lbs. is a compact car, but a Toyota Corolla at 183 inches long and 2,800 lbs. is a midsize.

Are-college-students-more-brilliant-The-grade-inflation-debate.jpg

Using the EPA as a basis for "official" vehicle classification is dumb.

Originally Posted By: WylieCoyote

Cruze_zpswf5ljybq.jpg

He's in Michigan, there are pre-production mules running around there all the time.

A loaded Civic has an msrp of $27,500. Good luck getting a decent discount on that car. A basic new Corolla can be had for almost half of that. While a new Cruze that has a sticker of $26k can be had for around 20k.

Originally Posted By: HighViscosity
And I understand the Prius engines are wearing out after 100k because of all the start/stop like a golf cart.

The cabbies and uber / lyft drivers would prove you wrong with their 200-300k miles driving, easily.

The battery typically wears out at around 10-15 years regardless of miles (or around 200k miles) from what I heard so far.

According to United State EPA, all cars on my list(Audi A3, BMW 3-series and MB C-class) are compact cars, EPA's classification of car's size is the official.

Originally Posted By: MrHorspwer
The EPA classes vehicles based on interior and cargo volume, not exterior dimensions. Thus, you get ridiculous classifications like a BMW 6-series Gran Coupe and Rolls Royce Phantom Coupe being compact cars and a Mazda 3 and Toyota Corolla as being midsize.

According to the EPA, a Rolls Royce that is 221 inches long and weighs 5,700 lbs. is a compact car, but a Toyota Corolla at 183 inches long and 2,800 lbs. is a midsize.

Using the EPA as a basis for "official" vehicle classification is dumb.

There is only 1 official car size rating in US and it is from EPA.

Yes, they use a combined passenger and cargo volume to classify vehicle class. This is much more useful than exterior dimension.

A car with much larger exterior dimension such as BMW 6-series Gran Coupe has very small passenger volume, not enough room for 4 average size adults and smaller trunk than a Corolla. Then BMW 6-series Gran Coupe is smaller car from people and cargo carrying perspective.

If you think using the EPA as a basis for "official" vehicle classification is dumb, then which classification to use ? Use car rental classification ? Or yours, and what is that ?

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
A loaded Civic has an msrp of $27,500. Good luck getting a decent discount on that car. A basic new Corolla can be had for almost half of that. While a new Cruze that has a sticker of $26k can be had for around 20k.

Why do you compare a load Civic with a base Corolla ?

It is like comparing a 20 years old 2000 sq-ft house with 5 years old 3000 sq-ft house across the street. Both houses are on the same street, right ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back