Tesla model S - Impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.

OVERKILL

$100 Site Donor 2021
One of my doctors has one and has offered to let me take it out tomorrow, so I figured a little premature thread creation to get HTSS_TR worked up in advance was in order
grin.gif

I will update once I'm back from her clinic. Anybody have anything specific they want to know about before I take it out?

Originally Posted By: neil57
Wow, must trust you a lot! The range if you are driving sporty is what I would like to hear about. Thanks

OK, will see what I can find out
smile.gif
She's the 2nd person I know with one, the first is a real estate developer who I have known for years, he traded in his 5-series, but he's been out of town for months, so I don't even know if he's had a chance to use it yet.

Interesting...I spent some time this morning checking out the Model X with the gull-wing doors....> $100,000. Pretty cool. Three rows of seats, though I doubt you could carry luggage for 7 people in the remaining space.

Variable ride height, really large dia. low-aspect-ratio tires. Not sure how comfortable that would be over rough pavement.

Might sign up to drive one later......

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
One of my doctors has one and has offered to let me take it out tomorrow, so I figured a little premature thread creation to get HTSS_TR worked up in advance was in order
grin.gif

I will update once I'm back from her clinic. Anybody have anything specific they want to know about before I take it out?

I would like to have your impression about handling of this model S compares with your former M5(M5 was an amazing sedan at its time, few year before was the years of Mercedes 500E and then E500)

My guess is that M5 is better in steering feel, but cornering is a wash between the two, the reason is model S has very low center of gravity and lower profile tires with 20" wheels.

Performance such as 0-30MPH and 0-60MPH model S should be better with instant torque from electric motor(s)

I think Model S is an amazing car, especially this is the first car Tesla done the whole car by itself, the Roaster was a cooperation with Lotus, the body and suspension were designed and manufactured by Lotus.

First pure electric car by a new company and is the best selling luxury sedan in US and in Europe is truly amazing.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
I just want to drive one to play with Ludicrous mode.

Ludicrous mode is only available with P90D(and may be P80D) at a cost of around $10k, I think.

The Tesla is amazing. I drove a Tesla S and it has instant power with the same acceleration at any speed.

30 mph? 60 mph? 80 mph? Smash it and it accelerates effortlessly.

I'm looking forward to your impressions; I had some fun playing cat and mouse with a Model S on a North Carolina mountain road when I covered the launch of the F16 X6 a while ago. I was in a xDrive50i(twin turbo V8) and the Tesla was very quick on the straights but fell back in the corners. The weather was dry so I'm almost certain that the failure to keep up was due to pilot error.

Lots of pics and maybe a short video driving it, esp accelerating would be very cool! On a race track would be the best!
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: timish
Originally Posted By: HerrStig
They're loosing 15 grand per car.

They should really tighten up the pricing!

lol.gif

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
They're loosing 15 grand per car.

Do you have supporting doc to say that they lost $15k for every model S they sold ?

Quote:
Does Tesla really lose $4,000 on every car it sells?

For reasons that defy comprehension, a purposefully misleading narrative about Tesla has been gaining traction in the press this week. In an article originally published on Reuters, Joseph White and Paul Lienert laughably claim that Tesla loses $4,000 on every car it sells. Even their chosen headline is an exercise in bombastic and deceptive journalism: “Insight: Tesla burns cash, loses more than $4,000 on every car sold.”

Quote:
The article begins as follows:

The Silicon Valley automaker is losing more than $4,000 on every Model S electric sedan it sells, using its reckoning of operating losses, and it burned $359 million in cash last quarter in a bull market for luxury vehicles. The company on Wednesday cut its production targets for this year and next. Chief Executive Elon Musk said he’s considering options to raise more capital, and didn’t rule out selling more stock.

Tesla, most of whose cars are built to order directly, delivered 11,532 cars in the second period and said it had an operating loss of about $47 million, for an operating loss per car of about $4,000.

Quote:
At first glance, and indeed this is the intention of the authors, the takeaway here is that Telsa is losing money on each and every Model S it sells. The implication being that Tesla is in a lose-lose situation where the more cars that they sell, the more their losses pile up.

Truth be told, the exact opposite is true.

The margins on the Tesla Model S are some of the best across the entire auto industry. The Model S is unequivocally profitable. It’s not even up for debate.

So what gives? Where did the $4,000 loss per vehicle narrative emerge from, and why has it spread like wildfire?

As to the second point, it’s spread across the web because it makes for a tantalizing, albeit false, headline. As to the first point, the authors of the story simply looked at all of Tesla’s operating expenditures, including development costs, and spread it out across the volume of cars Tesla happened to sell during the quarter. In effect, the authors were examining the profitability of each Tesla through the prism of the company’s full gamut of operational expenditures. This makes absolutely no sense, but apparently makes for a rather clickable headline.

Quote:
Tesla isn’t losing money on each car sold, plain and simple. The reality is that Tesla, despite its early success, is still very much in start-up mode. It’s making huge and bold bets that electric cars will be the wave of the future, bets that typically require huge outlays of cash. And speaking of the future, the the reservation list for the upcoming Tesla Model X is already over 20,000 strong, not too bad for a car that no one has yet even sat in for a test drive.

Following the Model X, Tesla’s ultimate plan is to release a mainstream electric car in the form of the Model 3. Indeed, much of the ‘cash burn’ the Reuters article mentions are investments Tesla is making in itself to facilitate growth and expanded operational activities down the line.

http://bgr.com/2015/08/11/tesla-model-s-profits-4000/

Profit margin on each car Tesla sold is not the same as operating profit or loss per quarter or year. A growth company can have many years without profit because they are investing more every year to expand their products.

I truly enjoy the Tesla's. I find the "drama-free" acceleration very satisfying on the P85D.

The autopilot is fun to play with too. It does a good job, but it's not perfect.

See how it handles the slalom, and find a Ferrari to shame!
smile.gif

As long as its not an F12 Berlinetta. That car out-accelerated a P85D with Insane mode

Or. Did it..

Make a video with your doc's Tesla like that, and share!
smile.gif

I was just thinking the other day, I wonder if the Tesla has a feature that tells the owner where the nearest charging station is, that way when you're on a long road trip you can plan your rest stops for times when the battery needs charging.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back