Anton Yelchin, dead pinned by his own car

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Donald
The actor who stars in Star Trek movies died after being pinned by his car against a security fence and mailbox pillar. With all the interlocks cars have these days this kind of accident seems odd.

But sad, an up and coming actor dead at 27.

*knockknockknockknockknockknock on head* "Hello? Hello McFly?" .

Heh.

Unfortunate accident. Investigators are trying to determine if the recall for the transmission selector had any bearing on this accident. Chrysler/Jeep sent out recall notices in May, but don't yet have a fix. Chrysler has already had over 200 reported incidents and multiple injuries (this might be the first death) caused by their funky shifter design. Stay tuned.

Rest in peace, Anton Yelchin
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Originally Posted By: supton
What is wrong with traditional shifter ? Why do they keep fixing thing that work okay until it failed.

That's how innovation works. Sometimes a great idea is but one small change to how it's always been. For instance, what is so hard about putting the key into the door to unlock? Turns out, a simple transmitter&receiver to make the power locks do their is a small matter, yet many people find it very convenient--a very welcome upgrade.

I agree in this case, I prefer a regular traditional shifter, though.

There are innovative and there are change for the sake of change.

Innovations:
Fuel injector vs carburetor
Disc brake with ABS vs drum
4-valve double-overhead-cam vs 2-valve pushrod
HID vs halogen headlight

Change for the sake of change and worse(much less reliable):
Electric water pump
Pressure expansion tank(in coolant system)
Drive-by-wire
Steer-by-wire

I recall early mechanical fuel injection was a dud, and I'm not sure anyone looks back with fondness at the early disc brakes either. Early ABS systems seem to be disliked too (single channel, RWD only, longer stopping distances in snow, etc).

It's not always right the first time.

Quote:
If he left the vehicle in gear, with the engine idling, it serves him right.....

Serves him right, really? SMH

I don't know the complete details, and as there's an ongoing investigation including but not limited to the recall of said vehicle, I don't think anyone here does.

Whatever the cause it's tragic. And though before yesterday knew nothing about Anton I have sympathy for him and the family he leaves behind. May he RIP.

Still SMH. UGH.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
The only real problems I recall with early disc brakes are a scarcity of parts now.

Perhaps that's what I'm remembering.

Sayjac penned, "...as there's an ongoing investigation including but not limited to the recall of said vehicle, I don't think anyone here does."

To that point I'd like to mention that descriptions of what's wrong or what's happening (or failing to happen) during mis/mal/non-functioning episodes are not to be found.

I'm not against "waiting for the final report" because "it'll be concise and to-the-point". But I would like to hear details now so I can at least guess at what body of facts the final report will have swept under the rug.

And a respectful, sincere RIP to the young man and condolences to family and friends.

According to the NY Times: http://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/21/busine...alled.html?_r=0

When the recall was announced earlier this year, the automaker said it was aware of 41 injuries related to the gear shift problem
, but no fatalities until, allegedly, Yelchin.

After the April recall, Fiat Chrysler said in a notice sent to owners that “a permanent remedy for this condition is currently under development” and that the automaker hoped to “finalize” it by the fourth quarter. It warned owners, in the meantime, to use the parking brake and to always check to make sure the vehicle was in the correct gear.

Until repairs are made, Fiat Chrysler should tell owners not to drive the vehicles and should provide loaner vehicles, Clarence Ditlow, the executive director of the Center for Auto Safety, a consumer advocacy group, said on Monday.

Obvs, FCA won't provide over 800,000 loaner vehicles, but given the amount of Grand Cherokees, Chargers and 300's on the road, it seems something more has to be done instead of just reminding drivers to pay special attention. Maybe more people will care if (when?) the rollaways start heading for intersections and hitting other cars?

Last year, federal regulators accused Fiat Chrysler of failing to conduct recalls and complete repairs in a timely fashion, and hit the company with $105 million in penalties.

NBC had a piece on this this morning with a demonstration in the actual model involved. The transmission is automatic with a floor shift lever. Unlike traditional automatics where you place the gear lever to the selection you want and it stays there, with this one you momentarily click the lever forward or back to change gears and it always springs back to the center position. You have to look at the little lights to know which gear it is in. You don't, unlike almost every other automatic car, simply push the lever to a certain position where it stays and you have that gear or park.

Several people have been injured some severely by getting out of the vehicle when they didn't realize it was in a gear or in neutral and having it move and hit them. It seems that this bad design would also increase incidents of going forward when intending to reverse or vice versa as well.

Since a modern automatic has software completely controlling the link between the shift lever and the gears changing, the user interface inside the car can be whatever the manufacturer wants. This one is not a good choice.

4-valve double-overhead-cam vs 2-valve pushrod

4-valve DOHC came first. 2-valve pushrod came after to reduce the complexity, size, cost, and weight of engines, while improving the reliability, servicability, and low-end power.

There's a reason why some of the most expensive luxury cars in the world still use pushrod.

Not to mention the heavy-duty vehicles.

Quote:
Change for the sake of change and worse(much less reliable):
Electric water pump
Pressure expansion tank(in coolant system)
Drive-by-wire
Steer-by-wire

Agree with that, except the pressurized expansion tank. Gotta love a reservoir that can continually and actively rid itself of air pockets from strategic points on the engine.

I own a 2015 Grand Cherokee, and have ended up in R on N when I was aiming for P or D due to not pushing or pulling the lever far enough. If you open the door or try to turn it off when not in park, you get a message and a chime.

The chime should be louder, and it should put the car in park automatically if the door is opened or the vehicle is turned off. I bet the fix will be this in a software update.

Originally Posted By: Donald
The actor who stars in Star Trek movies died after being pinned by his car against a security fence and mailbox pillar. With all the interlocks cars have these days this kind of accident seems odd.

But sad, an up and coming actor dead at 27.

That's just sad.

My sympathies do go out to him, because unfortunately, I have exited a vehicle before while it was still in gear. Things didn't get nearly as out of control as they did for Mr. Yelchin, but still.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
I own a 2015 Grand Cherokee, and have ended up in R on N when I was aiming for P or D due to not pushing or pulling the lever far enough. If you open the door or try to turn it off when not in park, you get a message and a chime.

The chime should be louder, and it should put the car in park automatically if the door is opened or the vehicle is turned off. I bet the fix will be this in a software update.

That's a seriously stupid dash message. And a chime?! as if a cute "*ding*" is enough warning that people could be about to die. And while I understand your thinking on it, there will be problems with the vehicle automatically shifting itself into park with an open door or ignition-off. It's just not normal operation, just as the shifter in it's present form isn't normal. FCA has a huge problem here.

PS - ddude... please stay okay while you're driving that thing, ya know?

Originally Posted By: JennyHemi

PS - ddude... please stay okay while you're driving that thing, ya know?

Thanks, but I'm aware enough to know what gear I am in. There is an indicator in the cluster and on the handle itself. My other car is a manual, no chime or messages at all! The horror.

My stepfather has a 300 with the same shifter...he says that anyone needing more than 2 days to figure out the shifter should have his license revoked. (It took him about an hour.)

Add to the shifter having no mechanical feel is the vehicle has a push to start button, so you are not forced to put it in Park before you can get the key out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back