Power steering fluid temperature

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I recently installed a universal power steering cooler on my SUV.

The two return line (rubber) hoses needed to be extended (simply lengthened) in order to attach to the inlets of the power steering cooler.

In order to extend each hose I needed an adapter that would be a bit wider one side than the other.

I went to NAPA a bought a set of adapters (about 1.5 inches long each) but the only thing they had was plastic.

I'm not sure what type of plastic they're but they're definitely "high grade", I told them this was for PS.

Now, given the Power steering fluid temperature is around 110-130 degrees (Celsius) and can go up to around 170 under more extreme conditions (approx).

Depending on the type of plastic, the melting point could be around that, or it may not, I'm not sure. If it's Polyethylene terphthalate or Polypropylene (with temperatures in the 170-250 range) I think it should be okay.

I know this may seem trivial but should I bother replacing the adapters (with metal ones) or is there a cause of concern here? I see no problems so far.

Thanks

Last edited:
Ive never heard of a ps fluid cooler.. What is the purpose of installing that? Im not sure if your ps fluid would ever see 170.. So id bet you're fine.

Originally Posted By: Rolla07
Ive never heard of a ps fluid cooler.. What is the purpose of installing that? Im not sure if your ps fluid would ever see 170.. So id bet you're fine.

Thanks for the response.

I assume (atleast from my experience as automotive DIY guy), the power steering cooler is a fairly common automotive part.

It's placed in the front of the vehicle, usually under or in front of the radiator to get as much exposure of "cool" air as possible which is supposed to bring down/regulate the temperature of the PS fluid and supposedly extend the life of the PS pump.

It's basically a tube running with fins around it (for heat transfer), on the input you have the return hose line and at the output you have it continuing the return line to the pump.

Something like this:

http://www.etrailer.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/pics/D/1/D12200_1000.jpg

There are many opinions that for regular day-to-day driving it's basically a useless part and can be circumvented altogether (usually by simply connecting the return lines together) since it doesn't do enough anyways to bring down the temperature.

In my case, the PS cooler was leaking fluid due to rust and a replacement cooler costs around $200.00.

I decided to go custom for this one and bought a universal PS cooler for 1/5th of the cost, dimensions are different but basically same effect and it's aluminum as opposed to steel, so no more rust.

Last edited:
My old neon had a PS cooler under the car, not much of a cooler really just a U in the tube with some fins across it but it was there. Surprised to see that on an econobox car.

Not sure if the Focus has one but now I'll be sure to look next time I'm under there.

Are you sure about 170C? That's over 300 degrees Fahrenheit. That seems insanely hot for fluid that doesn't touch the engine.

Most PS systems will not go past 40deg.C above ambient. under normal operating conditions.

But if you torture the system(no airflow + turning the wheel from side to side for several minutes, or letting the pump work up against the relief valve) the temp will rise significantly.

My personal opinion is that PS systems should not run any hotter than 40-50 deg.C above ambient - if they do run hotter than that it is most likely that there is something wrong.

Originally Posted By: Ifixyawata
My old neon had a PS cooler under the car, not much of a cooler really just a U in the tube with some fins across it but it was there. Surprised to see that on an econobox car.

Not sure if the Focus has one but now I'll be sure to look next time I'm under there.

Are you sure about 170C? That's over 300 degrees Fahrenheit. That seems insanely hot for fluid that doesn't touch the engine.

Pumps that are heavily boosted will definitely hit that. Drive any 4th Gen GM F-Body aggressively, and you'll get there fast. They are known to overheat with a PS cooler in play.

Any load-carrying vehicle will be subject to this problem if very heavy, or if heavily loaded as well.

My Navigator has one of the oddest arrangements I have seen. The PS cooler is the top 3 rows of the AC condenser.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back