Any HVAC techs on here? Heatpump making noise...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are there any knowledgeable BITOGERs on here that have dealt with heatpump repair. My mothers goodman unit was working fine a few days ago when she turned on the AC. Today though it starts to produce cool air, but after a few mins the unit begins to make a weird rattle noise (see YT video below) from the bottom rear of the unit and its not the grill vibrating. Another weird occurrence is that after being on for 30mins there is no condensation coming from the water catcher on the air exchanger leading to the condensation pump. Wondering if its the compressor?

VIDEO: https://youtu.be/iD1xcDZqZIE

Last edited:
Not an HVAC, but I'd have a look inside, a stick falling near the fan could make that noise - had that happen at our house a few years ago.

Originally Posted By: Mr_Accord
Are there any knowledgeable BITOGERs on here that have dealt with heatpump repair. My mothers goodman unit was working fine a few days ago when she turned on the AC. Today though it starts to produce cool air, but after a few mins the unit begins to make a weird rattle noise (see YT video below) from the bottom rear of the unit and its not the grill vibrating. Another weird occurrence is that after being on for 30mins there is no condensation coming from the water catcher on the air exchanger leading to the condensation pump. Wondering if its the compressor?

I would check the cooling fan on top to see if it's rubbing. If not, the compressor is bad. Hard to tell from the audio. Is warm air blowing out the top of the unit?

Originally Posted By: Kuato
Not an HVAC, but I'd have a look inside, a stick falling near the fan could make that noise - had that happen at our house a few years ago.

Thanks I was thinking the same, but i doubt that would cause the system to stop working in this way.

Originally Posted By: HighViscosity
Originally Posted By: Mr_Accord

I would check the cooling fan on top to see if it's rubbing. If not, the compressor is bad. Hard to tell from the audio. Is warm air blowing out the top of the unit?

I did put my over the exhaust fan and it didn't feel warm, just regular air being blown.

About 5 years ago we needed to have our A/C replaced. The new A/C unit was not compatible with our furnace, so he also replaced the furnace. The HVAC guy highly recommended a Coleman unit so I went with it. The A/C portion works very well, but the furnace portion is a huge pile of cow dung! I'm constantly having to replace the stupid flame sensor, which is always failing and causing the heat to go out. I'm to the point now of having to replace the flame sensor every few days or so. He even replaced the main circuit board, but it still continues to go out. I was talking to my landlord the other day, who maintains all of his unit's HVAC systems. He said the York units, and the Coleman units (which he thinks are made by York) are notorious for this problem. He said the only fix, if replacing the main circuit board does fix it, is to replace the entire unit with a different make/model. He said Goodman and American Standard make good units and recommended that I go with one of their models. For the HVAC guys, does sound about right to you?

I'm doing a bit of research on doing a preemptive strike on my 22 year old Trane heat pump. Here's a link that has the Consumer Reports repair info. Gas furnaces are at the bottom of the page.

Trane and American Standard are the same parent company as are Carrier and Bryant. The heat pumps from each parent company are identical except for cosmetics. I don't know about the gas furnaces.

Coleman=York, so it looks like you were not alone in your experience.
Goodman=Amana, mid tier.

http://www.essmwa.com/heating-cooling/2014-consumer-report-ratings-on-hvac/

Ed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back