Mud Stains - of the GA red clay variety.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've done some Googling and not come up with much.

Some of my cars lived on dirt roads in the past, as a result the undercarriages are stained with red mud. Particularly the mufflers and such...

Short of painting or replacing parts any suggestions for something that will remove the stains?

We have a deep orange clay here. It's nearly impossible to remove. I live down a dirt road myself. Last time I replaced my tires it was raining here and I was never able to get the clay stain off.

Wish I could help but I'm in the same boat myself.

The fine mud you have can be washed off with water (how it got there in the first place) and elbow grease.
Use a stiff brush.
Or leave it in place and have the car "hot oil undercoated".
I'd bet the stubborn silt would hold more oil and could work to the cars' advantage.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
We have red caleche (sp) here and it's impossible to get off. It's been on my Jeep for years and has stained every part it touched

It's the same here. I Call it adobe clay. Wet it is as slippery as the finest grease, dry it hardens like cement, if you grind it, the powder has the characteristic of cement, fresh from the bag. Evil stuff. Around here it's called topsoil.
crazy2.gif

Try what off-roaders do, stick a yard sprinkler under the car. Then leave it a while.

Something like this:

http://www.target.com/p/melnor-3100-sq-ft-oscillating-sprinkler/-/A-50235351?ref=tgt_adv_XS000000&AFID=google_pla_df&CPNG=PLA_Patio%2BGarden%2BShopping&adgroup=SC_Patio%2BGarden&LID=700000001170770pgs&network=g&device=c&location=9033288&gclid=CjwKEAjwp-S6BRDj4Z7z2IWUhG8SJAAbqbF3UifX01L3NtcykggWq28_4s2iFHGeUFwHe9scGtR2BhoCNh3w_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

If that didn't make me happy, after a few treatments of that I'd spray cheap foaming cleaner around, let it sit, then repeat the sprinkler treatment.

Then you can take pictures and brag.
wink.gif

I'm in central ga.Red clay is a pain.
The sprinkler thing may work.I would put a set of ramps in front of both sets of tires ,pull up.Then spray the underside with a detergent mix from a pump sprayer.Let sit a few minutes.Then hook up a sprinkler.Or get a pressure washer and prepare to be soaked.

Some car washes have an undercarriage spray.

good luck

Last edited:
Water ain't taking it off... Seriously do you think I haven't tried that...

Note it is not "mud" the mud is long gone, it is mud STAINS...

Simple green and a scrub brush doesn't even phase it...

I suppose buying red cars would work if the undercarriage and exhaust system was red too...

Well I think clay bar and ultimate compound on a muffler and control arms is slightly over the top, but I can give it a shot I guess...

Originally Posted By: FastEddie
Of course Iron X will only work to remove...Iron. So I'm guessing this red clay is mainly iron?

That seems to be the consensus, at least that the high iron content is what causes the stains...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back