Can Cartridge Filter O Rings be used repeatedly?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently purchased 9 ACDelco 457G filters with sealed boxes but NONE HAVE O Rings! I have a couple of extras on hand from some Frams that I cut apart and figure I can use an O Ring several times for the 5000 mile oil changes required under warranty by Polaris on the
Ecotec motor in the Slingshot.

Curious comment by tech who did the first oil change was that the BLUE O ring from the OEM ACDelco was a "lifetime O ring". I had him leave it on and have not yet come up for the second oil change. Anyone ever heard this about the O Rings?

I used one twice on a 3.6L Pentastar engine w/o issues. They want them changed with the filter, but I didn't replace the filter, I just checked it and didn't have another O ring.

I'm in the same boat with some ecotec filters I "scored"
smirk.gif
on rockauto for 91 cents. I still have some "other" filters so I'm on an o-ring ration.
wink.gif

I've used the same one 3 or 4 times and it's not leaking. IDK how the ecotec filter system works but ASSume it's not that highly pressurized, and might, in fact, just get lazy oil filtering back down to the pan via gravity.

You can but every cartridge Oil filter that I have bought OEM or aftermarket came with a O-ring so why not replace it. Does the 457G filters usually come with one? if so then find out why they didn't come with them.

I don't understand why they don't include the O-rings as a matter of course. At a couple of my suppliers, they have oil filter kits (filters with O-rings), oil filters separately, and oil filter O-rings separately. Sheesh.

You can reuse ANY o-ring if it is pliable, uncut, and still meets it's original size.

The exception would be if the manual specifically states that the seal MUST be replaced.

Which o-ring? My BMW has two: the large one that goes on top of the oil filter housing cap, and a small one that goes on the tip of the rod that keeps the cartridge filter in place.

I always replace the large one because a new one is provided in the box with the filter. But a replacement for the small one is not provided, so I have not been changing that one. I probably should. I'm guessing it's never been changed.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
You can reuse ANY o-ring if it is pliable, uncut, and still meets it's original size.

The exception would be if the manual specifically states that the seal MUST be replaced.

+1 That's what I do for my Malibu. I haven't replaced mine in probably 8 oil changes and have NEVER had any sort of issues.

What an interesting wake up call TO ME.

I've never bought an element which was lacking its O-ring but from now on I'll check each time I buy.
There's a clearly observable reduction in pliability in the old O-rings I remove from the canister.
Maybe they wouldn't leak but I don't want to learn the hard way.

Thanks for the heads up! seriously.

Of course this doesn't address my pal who bought a transmission filter WITHOUT the pan gasket!
It was stated as being "filter only" by RockAuto and was honest and economical as such.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: Kira
What an interesting wake up call TO ME.

I've never bought an element which was lacking its O-ring but from now on I'll check each time I buy.
There's a clearly observable reduction in pliability in the old O-rings I remove from the canister.
Maybe they wouldn't leak but I don't want to learn the hard way.

Thanks for the heads up! seriously.

Of course this doesn't address my pal who bought a transmission filter WITHOUT the pan gasket!
It was stated as being "filter only" by RockAuto and was honest and economical as such.
Stunad (Italian for j'cass).
It means "stone head". Nice try, though.

The thing about O-rings is that they seal by controlled deformation, and over time, the O-rings takes a permanent set and should be replaced. They are a one-use item. I tried for three decades to make mandatory use of all O-rings that came with filter elements a plant standard operation procedure. Never happened. I can't count the times we had to bring a piece of equipment back off-line because mechanics didn't use new O-rings and high price Fyrquel under 3000 PSI was leaking all over everything.Glad I don't have to put up with that in retirement.

Since there not extras, measuring the rings with calipers to check for roundness and to see if the Fram is the same diameter would solve the issue for awhile. Some parts of filters seal metal on metal in some brands, so it depends what the o ring is doing, very important or sort of important. Of course if the o ring is damaged on removing then that opens up new problems. How I understand it is inside the canister only the differential pressure is important, so an o ring might be only seeing a couple, or a few, psi on it.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Which o-ring? My BMW has two: the large one that goes on top of the oil filter housing cap, and a small one that goes on the tip of the rod that keeps the cartridge filter in place.

I always replace the large one because a new one is provided in the box with the filter. But a replacement for the small one is not provided, so I have not been changing that one. I probably should. I'm guessing it's never been changed.

The 2000 MB E430 has four(may be 5), they are all different size. The largest one goes to the top of the filter housing, the 3 smaller ones go to various places of filter holder.

I changed the o-rings every 2-4 filter changes, I was a little lazy most of the times and the o-rings were in good shape so I skipped. Now I have many o-rings in my toolbox.

Gasket of a spin-on filter may not lasted more than 1 FCI, but o-ring(s) of cartridge filter seem to last many FCI's of 10k each.

Stopped by Chevy dealer parts dept this afternoon and parts guy brings out carton of filters...no O rings...they come separately at $3.00 a pop. He said some of their mechanics say change every time, others say not necessary. Also, he had never heard that
the blue O rings were good for life! Worse can happen is I spew
a little oil on the engine. Simple Green and water hose takes care of that if necessary.

Thanks to all for the informed input.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
The 2000 MB E430 has four(may be 5), they are all different size. The largest one goes to the top of the filter housing, the 3 smaller ones go to various places of filter holder.

Yeah, come to think of it, mine has more than two as well. I haven't really been paying attention.

Originally Posted By: tc1446
Stopped by Chevy dealer parts dept this afternoon and parts guy brings out carton of filters...no O rings...they come separately at $3.00 a pop. He said some of their mechanics say change every time, others say not necessary. Also, he had never heard that
the blue O rings were good for life! Worse can happen is I spew
a little oil on the engine. Simple Green and water hose takes care of that if necessary.

Thanks to all for the informed input.

That's what they told me when I bought filters for my Terrain. O rings good for life
and only need replacing if it leaks.

I'd replace it but that's just me. Really strange that the new ones didn't come with them.

I don't like that they omit o-rings, but the ACDelco filters are best for an Ecotec IMO. I use a Carquest filter every so often to get a new o-ring but otherwise reuse 2-3x when I run the Delco filters. No problems with leaks.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back