Thinking of buying a Mercedes Mini-van - V series

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know diddly squat about the engine/drive train of this vehicle except what's on the Mercedes site.

Couple of questions:
1) Where is the car manufactured?
2) Where is the engine/drive train built?
3) How tough do you think the vehicle is?
4) Tell me everything you know about this vehicle...
34.gif

Thanks in advance everyone!

I assume they're pretty tough. I saw them all over Europe last summer (they call it the Vito there) being used for contractor duty and for shuttling purposes.

I ride the Colorado Mountain Express shuttle when visiting Breckenridge. The drivers have told me that the Sprinter van is very unreliable and has left drivers stranded numerous times. I don't know about their "minivan."

After reading all the links wemay provided (thanks!) I'm definitely still interested in taking a hard look at this vehicle.

Seems like the engine is built in Germany, can't find where the thing is assembled.

Originally Posted By: wemay
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2016-mercedes-benz-metris-first-drive-review

http://www.caranddriver.com/mercedes-benz/metris

http://www.edmunds.com/mercedes-benz/metris/2016/

http://www.mbvans.com/sprinter/discover/product-highlights?&gclid=CJS8yZrKnc0CFUw6gQod_T8ARA

http://www.mbvans.com/sprinter/commercial-vans/metris-passenger-van

Wow! A rear wheel drive version of the Chrysler T&C. And it's price competitive. I can see a market for that. Put a Dodge badge on it and a Pentastar engine with jeep 4x4 drive train under it and it would be winner!

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
Looks to me like the old Mercedes cargo van I used to see in Europe years ago that is refreshed slightly. Personally I would pass, it brings nothing new to the table except the Mercedes badge.

I'm not a badge person, just looking for a mini-van that will hold up to heavy use while pulling a small camper trailer. None of the current mini-van's I've seen/driven seem to be very durable.

Looks to me like the old Mercedes cargo van I used to see in Europe years ago that is refreshed slightly. Personally I would pass, it brings nothing new to the table except the Mercedes badge.

Its rwd and tows 5k, which is something unavailable in the passenger van market right now. Being an MB makes it a pass for me too, but maybe a few people will go for it.

Originally Posted By: sasilverbullet
Seems like the engine is built in Germany, can't find where the thing is assembled.

I looked at the VIN for one that's for sale online. It starts with a "W" so in theory, that should mean that it's made in Germany, but Mercedes has been known to play games with these designations in the past, so who knows...

It's interesting that it only comes with a 3-year warranty. I think the warranty on Mercedes cars is longer than that.

Couple of questions:
1) Where is the car manufactured?

Per Car and Drivers report - Vitoria,Spain is where it's assembled.
"As Mercedes-Benz was finalizing the preparation of its mid-size Vito van for U.S. consumption, it stumbled upon one last matter to settle before hitting the start button on the presale PR blitz: the name. Focus groups revealed that Americans, self-impressed film fans that we are, just couldn’t shake the “Corleone” connotations from the name Vito, christened in deference to the Vitoria, Spain, assembly facility where the Vito and its higher-luxe V-class brother are born. To sidestep any potential controversy and to save future owners from countless weak attempts at humor—“Hey Vito, where’s your Italy and stuff?!”—Mercedes chose for our version the name “Metris,” in reference to the metropolitan areas it figures most Metris owners will ply their trades in. "

We got rid of our 2007 - V-6 and 2005 - Inline 5cyl sprinter vans due to high cost of maintenance/repair and unreliability.

Last edited:
The info on the assembly is listed in the NHTSA content documents.
http://www.nhtsa.gov/Laws+&+Regulations/Part+583+American+Automobile+Labeling+Act+(AALA)+Reports

It says both Spain and the US, depending on the version. It says the passenger version comes from Spain. The manufacturers can make changes, I'm guessing, that might not be reflected in these reports.

Originally Posted By: stephen9666
The info on the assembly is listed in the NHTSA content documents.
http://www.nhtsa.gov/Laws+&+Regulations/Part+583+American+Automobile+Labeling+Act+(AALA)+Reports

It says both Spain and the US, depending on the version. It says the passenger version comes from Spain. The manufacturers can make changes, I'm guessing, that might not be reflected in these reports.

Thanks,
Metris Passenger Van
MPV
0%
70%SP
12%G

The 12% is probably because the engine is made in Germany.

If it has the same engineering and reliability as the Sprinter, run far, far away.
Spend your $ on a Ford Transit van.

I have several hundred of each (Sprinters, Transits) in my fleet.
All diesels.

Originally Posted By: Danno
If it has the same engineering and reliability as the Sprinter, run far, far away.
Spend your $ on a Ford Transit van.

I have several hundred of each (Sprinters, Transits) in my fleet.
All diesels.

Is the main problem the diesel engine, or the rest of the vehicle?

After reading all the links wemay provided (thanks!) I'm definitely still interested in taking a hard look at this vehicle.

thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: IndyIan

Its rwd and tows 5k, which is something unavailable in the passenger van market right now. Being an MB makes it a pass for me too, but maybe a few people will go for it.

If hauling or towing heavy stuff is the primary objective then this van sure beats the others, but for hauling people it doesn't seem too comfortable.
I could be totally wrong as I never drove one, but with the commercial van DNA, it's an educated guess.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: IndyIan

If hauling or towing heavy stuff is the primary objective then this van sure beats the others, but for hauling people it doesn't seem too comfortable.
I could be totally wrong as I never drove one, but with the commercial van DNA, it's an educated guess.

When the time comes I'll be test driving:
Honda
Toyota
Chrysler
Mercedes

And I'm going to test them all "fully loaded".

diesel engine has been OK, the rest of the vehicle turns to dust.

Cracked down pipe = $2500 as it is integrated with the cat convertor - yes diesel.
Intake flapper valve = $4000.
Everything you touch is 50% more to repair than a Ford, and the Transits give 9% better fuel economy, 3.0L MB diesel vs 3.2L Ford diesel, same duty cycles. 100s in my samples.
Saw my MB corporate guy last week. Told him we were looking at exiting the Sprinters earlier than planned. He didn't have much to say. Talking exiting '09s here. We have '11s, 12s and 13s in the fleet as well.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
It's interesting that it only comes with a 3-year warranty. I think the warranty on Mercedes cars is longer than that.

Their car warranty is typically 4 years 50k miles. But then again, they're typically more money than this minivan. Try looking at a GLE or GL for your 4 year/50k, those are a lot more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back