Fram Ultra Synthetic Cartridge Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Decided to start a new thread instead of adding my findings to some of the other threads concerning the supposed failures of the XG synthetic cartridge filters. My curiosity got the best of me after reading the below threads and I suspected that an undersized ID of the end caps might have contributed to or possibly caused the media to separate from them, either during installation or removal. That's exactly what I found with five new XG10358 cartridges. I purchased four from the net, checked another in a local store and found all to have the same issue. The picture of the housing cap center tube was blurry so I didn't include it but the tube OD measured 1.095" - 1.103".

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3434977/Fram_Ultra_FAILURE
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3411091/1
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3930160

Here the filter is just started on the housing cap. It was very tight and I didn't try to push it any farther or I could have easily damaged the media.
1c7mb.jpg

qrch9w.jpg

Here are the specs from Fram's website. Notice the ID should be 1.108"
1z3a4gp.jpg

Here's the ID of the first of five I checked. The other four were almost exactly the same. Caliper showed 1.091" - 1.093"
314xbvq.jpg

Compared to the Wix filter. The Wix measured 1.112" and dropped right into the cover.
2qvytyf.jpg

2h4gh2h.jpg

OEM Toyota filter measured @ 1.105".
k2nyfn.jpg

Last edited:
Good detective work and pictures. I think the Ultra is still on my list for canister filters, but the list of those even is getting smaller. Of your three for me at least, the last one is the best one. This is how copying and not getting it exact ends up. The Wix is a little too loose, the Ultra much too tight, The OE seems to be just right.

Fram does list the spec pretty close to correct, must be the machine that makes the hole, or the plastic mold, is out of adjustment. That a number were measured is very good proof something is haywire.

The Fram's end cap ID looks to only be on the very lips of the end caps. If they are a bit flexible, and if lubed up with oil does that help the filter slip over the metal center tube?

Originally Posted By: Brybo86
Call Fram and get a free filter

Probably get more with the same issue. I won't speculate on whether Fram has a good quality management system in place or not but the customer should never be the one to find defective products.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
The Fram's end cap ID looks to only be on the very lips of the end caps. If they are a bit flexible, and if lubed up with oil does that help the filter slip over the metal center tube?

The end caps are a hard plastic material with zero flex. Oil was no help. Even if someone manages to squeak one on the center tube, what happens when they try to remove it? What about the highly trained Jiffy Lube tech that removes the filter and the end stays in the housing cap? I can see someone easily leaving it in there and installing a new filter on top of it

The Pronto cartridges that I get for $1.83 each on Rockauto look better than both of those filters.

Originally Posted By: funflyer

The end caps are a hard plastic material with zero flex. Oil was no help. Even if someone manages to squeak one on the center tube, what happens when they try to remove it? What about the highly trained Jiffy Lube tech that removes the filter and the end stays in the housing cap? I can see someone easily leaving it in there and installing a new filter on top of it

If the end caps are hard plastic, then yes this could definitely be an issue on some vehicles if there's an interference fit on some vehicles.

funflyer - what vehicle were you measuring the metal center tube on?

Suggest emailing Jay (aka Motorking here) with a link to this thread so he can see it and pass along the info within Fram for possible improvements.

Here's his email: [email protected]

I recently did oil changes on my dads Corolla and my sisters Highlander using Ultra cartridges and both were very tight as well.

Originally Posted By: goodtimes
Very clear reporting, Fram says 1.108" is the spec for the hole, but they made the hole 1.091". As was said.

Exactly! Why should there be any extra work for the consumer when this should be a 'direct fit replacement'. Great detective work and bonus points for conducting this on more than one filter. In essence showing that this batch, at least, is defective.

Don't know what the oil inlet side looks like, but the OE will allow oil to flow into the pleats more directly instead of going around the end cap. Depends on how close the end cap is to the inlet base, if it could be an issue.

If the end caps are hard plastic, then yes this could definitely be an issue on some vehicles if there's an interference fit on some vehicles.

Suggest emailing Jay (aka Motorking here) with a link to this thread so he can see it and pass along the info within Fram for possible improvements.

It's a 2016 Toyota Prius. Cap is p/n 15620-37010, same one used on Corolla, Matrix and Scion. I'll shoot Jay an email today.

Originally Posted By: bvance554
The Pronto cartridges that I get for $1.83 each on Rockauto look better than both of those filters.

Actually the Fram and Wix both are very well constructed. Their synthetic media is far superior to most others available. Are Pronto filters still Premium Guard? There might be a good reason they're dirt cheap.
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/1736036/1

It's a 2016 Toyota Prius. Cap is p/n 15620-37010, same one used on Corolla, Matrix and Scion. I'll shoot Jay an email today.

Originally Posted By: bvance554

Actually the Fram and Wix both are very well constructed. Their synthetic media is far superior to most others available. Are Pronto filters still Premium Guard? There might be a good reason they're dirt cheap.
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/1736036/1

"Very well constructed" and doesn't fit. Typical Framboy dissembling.

Originally Posted By: Brybo86
Call Fram and get a free filter

Probably get more with the same issue. I won't speculate on whether Fram has a good quality management system in place or not but the customer should never be the one to find defective products.

Maybe they would send you a Wix filter that would fit.

It doesn't matter how efficient the media is on a FRAM if the overall construction and QC on the filter is poor.

Went and checked six more today and found all six were undersize. Not as bad as the first five I checked but definitely too small to fit properly. Four averaged 1.094" and two averaged 1.098". I also checked two of the standard X Guards and they were better at 1.102" so they'd probably fit okay. There was one Tough Guard so I measured it also and it was way over at 1.125". From Fram's data they all should have the same ID, 1.108".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back