Is it OK to reuse factory compression hose clamps?

Status
Not open for further replies.
2002 Buick Regal.

I am putting on new radiator hoses. I usually put on new hose clamps but just thought maybe I could reuse the old ones??

Thanks!

Originally Posted By: callbay
2002 Buick Regal.

I am putting on new radiator hoses. I usually put on new hose clamps but just thought maybe I could reuse the old ones?? You can't do any better than the OEM hose clamps. There is a reason the manufacturers use that type of clamp and it's not all economic.

Thanks!

I have tried reusing the factory clamps in the past but I was never successful to get my pliers to open the clamps far enough to get them to slide back on. So I would use the screw type clamp. I don't think there is anything wrong to reuse them but I don't have the tool that works right for me to get them to clamp back on. Maybe you have the tool or the patience.

You made a call. Probably the worst that may happen is a small weeping type leak that will inconvenience you and cause more labor.

in a shop setting, that is unacceptable and they would just use a new one. Anyway, that is what I see called for in the books, it appears. A new clamp with a new hose. I guess they figure by the time one is done for the other is too.

Originally Posted By: MRtv
I have tried reusing the factory clamps in the past but I was never successful to get my pliers to open the clamps far enough to get them to slide back on. So I would use the screw type clamp. I don't think there is anything wrong to reuse them but I don't have the tool that works right for me to get them to clamp back on. Maybe you have the tool or the patience.

I have not had success using the constant pressure clamps either. Until I used a tool that was actually made for them - super easy!

I do not own said tool so I always use the screw clamps.

Yup. Used them many many many times over and over with no issue. I have had issue though with cheap worm clamps. Use vice grips if you have issues handling them or they make special pliers.

Spring clamps compensate for expansion/contraction and generally perform better than static type screw clamps.

I only replaced hose clamps if needed due to their location and not being able to easily access with a driver or pliers. Never had leaks due to reuse.

Get the spring clamp pliers and re-use them as long as you wish. Spring clamps are self adjusting as temps rise and fall. They are often better than worm drive which have a fixed diameter and rely on the hose to make up the give and take as temps rise and fall ...

In Toyota engines it's OK to reuse the OEM hose clamps (vacuum, fuel, coolant, etc.) unless they are damaged.

I don't like aftermarket hose clamps because they damage the hoses.

I reused them with success as well. But I take a look at them first to make sure that are not getting rusty. I had one that failed due to rust, but since it was glued on to the hose, everything looked fine, but the connection was seeping coolant. It was only when I tried to compress it, that a piece of it came off.

Shop setting is another story, they simply want to minimize comebacks. Also, the customer pays for the new hardware so it's easy for them to change everything.

Last edited:
100% okay as long as its not rusted or has no tension, GM ones are pretty good.
The worst possible thing you can do is replace them with worm drive clamps, these are the biggest POS ever foisted on the business. They leak in cold weather especially on plastic fittings, they can crack a plastic fittings when tightened up to stop the leak and they massacre the hose.

There is not one good point to these Mickey Mouse pieces of junk. I thrown them away by the box full with other metal scrap.
There are some screw type constant tension clamps that are fine, they have a full metal liner with no protrusion inside to crack the fitting and they don't need over tightening to prevent leaks.

The cable operated tool which squeezes the spring clamps' ears is the best money I've ever spent.
It makes removal and installation of those clamps UNBELIEVABLY fast and smooth operations.

The one I got was from Sears...was built in France...came with a spare cable anchor (which I taped to the tool)....and cost $40. Kira

For my occasional/shade tree use the expendable pliers work OK for me.

79fa0246-8cd4-43b4-8898-1e3a599fe4eb_145.jpg

This is the second thread on this exact topic in a week. In the last one I recommended (if you have a thicker hose than OEM and can't get the clamp over the barb) put the clamp over the hose neck first, then push the hose on. At that point you should have no problem getting the clamp opened enough with your channel locks. It works!

Over the years, I've occasionally gone to dealerships to replace spring loaded hose clamps and they NEVER have them in stock. I asked what they do when a spring loaded hose clamp is damaged; they replied, "we replace them with worm drive clamps".

My experience with those clamps is yes they can be used over but they need to be exactly where they were on the hose before or you can get a leak. Probably something to do with the way the clamp compressed the rubber over time.

Originally Posted By: surfstar
I only replaced hose clamps if needed due to their location and not being able to easily access with a driver or pliers. Never had leaks due to reuse.

+1 if they are a PITA to replace or damaged I will replace them but 9/10 I recycle them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back