Costco Gas Pump

Status
Not open for further replies.
2000 Buick LeSabre w/ 3800 V6

Went to get gasoline last night. I set the nozzle on trigger lock and let it fill up. The pump shut off at 10.770 gallons. I then pressed the nozzle closely against the filler neck and pumped in another 3.746 gallons. 14.516 gallons pumped total. Why the heck does the pump shut off at almost 4 gallons early ?
confused2.gif

Hose was not inserted correctly.

Glad we go that out of the way.......

Originally Posted By: Colt45ws
The angle of the dangle was incorrect.

I let the nozzle rest where it wanted to.
confused2.gif

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
On some cars, overfilling like that can trash the charcoal canister in the evap control system.

Does that on the 98-08 corollas, and 00-05 celicas that I know of from personal experience.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
Costco has the fastest filling pumps I've ever seen.

In the mid 80's I remember being at a gas station somewhere in central Florida that had very fast pumps. As I was waiting in line to pay (this was way before 'pay at the pump'), there was an older gentleman arguing with the clerk that there HAD to have been some air mixed in with the gas since it pumped so fast and he did like paying for air.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Are you guys saying that the nozzle doesn't fit my filler neck correctly, or visa versa ?
confused2.gif

Most likely.

When I filled up my cars I looked at fuel gauge and estimated the amount I need. When I inserted the nozzle correctly and select the slow pump rate I usually got within 1/2 gallons when the pump shut off.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
It's a conspiracy and it means that you're a marked person. They are watching you.

grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Are you guys saying that the nozzle doesn't fit my filler neck correctly, or visa versa ?
confused2.gif

Sometimes you have to reseat so the nozzle is at a different angle. I suspect what happens is the fuel coming out is splashing against the side of the tube and backwashing, triggering the shutoff. If you pull it out a little so the nozzle sits straighter, it will work ok.

Im surprised you haven't encountered this before. I have to adjust a pump a couple times a month because it shuts off early.

Last edited:
If the nozzle has a vapor recovery boot, it has to pump between 6-10 gal/min. No 'fast' pumps allowed most CA counties.

Did you really start a thread to tell us you didn't insert the nozzle correctly?

Originally Posted By: surfstar
If the nozzle has a vapor recovery boot, it has to pump between 6-10 gal/min. No 'fast' pumps allowed most CA counties.

Did you really start a thread to tell us you didn't insert the nozzle correctly?

Yes-another Merkava "special thread".

It's getting hot in Fresno these days....

Last edited:
Don't shove the nozzle all the way in. Just insert it half way and let it rest. Make sure it's secure tho. My son use to get so mad the pump would keep kicking off. Had to pull it out some. When it goes in to far it tends to kick the pump off.

You're lucky to still have trigger locks - I haven't seen them here for about a decade now. So we just put the cap between the trigger and the trigger guard, does the same job
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: hpb
You're lucky to still have trigger locks - I haven't seen them here for about a decade now. So we just put the cap between the trigger and the trigger guard, does the same job
smile.gif

Unfortunately here the caps have been attached to the car by a string for decades, and now the new cars don't even have caps!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back