Question about 2013 Altima CVT fluid

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Everyone,

Almost time to replace the CVT transmission fluid on my wife's 2013 Altima. I was going through the owners manual and it states the following:

● Use only Genuine NISSAN CVT Fluid

NS-3. Do not mix with other fluids.

● Using transmission fluid other than

Genuine NISSAN CVT Fluid NS-3 will

damage the CVT, which is not covered

by the warranty.

Does this mean that I can only use Nissan brand fluid or will can I use Valvoline Cvt fluid? Any info would be great.

Martin

You can use whatever you'd like. If you'd like to keep it under warranty, however, the manual seems to be very clear.

I think you will find that a CVT fluid will say meets the spec of Nissan NS-3 etc... If the fluid did not actually name the spec, I wouldn't use it. Those CVT seem to be a finicky beast. Iam sure a big oil producer makes it.

It's right there in front of you..... The answer is no. Period. End of story.

The CVT fluid is quite particular to its formulation. It is based upon traction coefficient that is needed to keep the belt working properly. These CVTs are extremely particular in which fluid will work properly in them. Stay with the OEM Nissan NS-3 fluid. That fluid is cheap compared to a $5,000 transmission.

Another thought.... how many miles on this vehicle? 50k... Let it be
smile.gif
2) Do you know that there is a deterioration number of 210,000 that is used to determine if your fluid even needs to be changed? That's what the Nissan Consult tool does when they "inspect" it at a dealership. I've read where other people's numbers were very low even after 60k miles. Earliest any the numbers I've seen would have required fluid to be changed was at 240k miles. So, this is extremely unlikely that you should even have to change it.

There was another cat on here who used Amsoil CVT fluid and guess what.... now he has a 3400 pound paper weight. Not worth taking that chance. I sincerely hope it all works out good for you no matter what. Just be careful.

Last edited:
I bought my 2008 Nissan Altima 3.5 coupe with 39,900 miles on it. How many CVT fluid changes has it had performed? Zero. I have 144,700 miles on my car and it runs great. I am going to get a fluid evacuator and pull 2 quarts off and replace it with 2 new Nissan NS-2 this fall. Then continue to do that every 8-9 months times 5 to slowly change out the fluid.

You only have to use a CVT fluid that meets your vehicle specs to keep it under warranty. If they require a special Nissan CVT fluid then they must supply it for free. That is federal law.

No way it's free.. and yes it has to be the Nissan CVT fluid. And they will not give it to anyone for free. But it would be nice if it were true.

If they require only Nissan fluid to maintain the warranty, then the company is obligated to provide it free of charge. This in under the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act.

Originally Posted By: Inspecktor
If they require only Nissan fluid to maintain the warranty, then the company is obligated to provide it free of charge. This in under the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act.

That's only true if someone else makes a fluid for it that meets warranty requirements.
They are also not required to publish the fluid specs

IRL Magnuson-Moss is extremely overrated unless you are a lawyer.

These Jatco CVTs have been around longer than most of today's too many speed conventional automatics. My point being, use any name brand CVT juice that says can be used in Nissan's Jatco units.

Originally Posted By: bbhero
It's right there in front of you..... The answer is no. Period. End of story.

The CVT fluid is quite particular to its formulation. It is based upon traction coefficient that is needed to keep the belt working properly. These CVTs are extremely particular in which fluid will work properly in them. Stay with the OEM Nissan NS-3 fluid. That fluid is cheap compared to a $5,000 transmission.

Another thought.... how many miles on this vehicle? 50k... Let it be
smile.gif
2) Do you know that there is a deterioration number of 210,000 that is used to determine if your fluid even needs to be changed? That's what the Nissan Consult tool does when they "inspect" it at a dealership. I've read where other people's numbers were very low even after 60k miles. Earliest any the numbers I've seen would have required fluid to be changed was at 240k miles. So, this is extremely unlikely that you should even have to change it.

There was another cat on here who used Amsoil CVT fluid and guess what.... now he has a 3400 pound paper weight. Not worth taking that chance. I sincerely hope it all works out good for you no matter what. Just be careful.

Do you have a link by chance to that Amsoil thread? I was thinking about using Amsoil in mine.

One thing people don't consider here is there is a chance that NS-3 does not mix properly with some other oil. My 2 cents would be to stick to NS-3. If you want to try something else, I would do a complete flush. I would not mix them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back