Computer vs. Owners manual

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2015 Ford Explorer that is e85 compatible, with 20k miles. The service manual recommends changing the oil every 5k. The oil life computer has "told" me to change the oil twice. I'm using Motorcraft 5w20 synthetic and have never used e85. Which recommendation should I follow?
I'm considering e85. How does this affect oil life/change interval?

welcome2.gif

The computer will take into account the E85 use. Follow the computer's suggestions. Also, Ford dealers can see when it told you to change the oil, so it's probably a good idea to listen to it
smile.gif

Is the OLM (computer) set by distance or calculated automatically? I know on a 2011 edge, you can set the interval from 3,000-5,000-7,500 miles.

Originally Posted By: Pence
The service manual recommends changing the oil every 5k.

Does it really say this? Other Ford owner's manuals I've seen for recent model years say to just follow the OLM.

If you trade in your car every 3-5 years it really makes little or no difference. You will never see the downstream results if the oil is not changed quite often enough.

I am keeping my daily driver a little bit longer than normal and I change the synthetic oil every 5-10K miles and use a NAPA gold oil filter. It's an 84 Civic wagon that I purchased new for cash, not financed and I still drive every day.

So, if you finance a car for 3-5 years and trade it in before or just when it's paid off then pick one or the other and drive with confidence. You bank is probably making more profit on the deal than your dealer until you return to the service entrance.

Remember, those oil change offers at the dealer are there for the service writer that is paid on commissions to take a shot at you for additional services. They have nothing to gain by extending the life of your vehicle. Their overhead is through the roof so to speak and they need your help to pay the bills.

Get a UOA...then you'll know for sure what your oil's condition is.

You didn't say if it's an EB or NA engine....I believe that the EB recommends 5k.

Originally Posted By: Pence
I have a 2015 Ford Explorer that is e85 compatible, with 20k miles. The service manual recommends changing the oil every 5k. The oil life computer has "told" me to change the oil twice. I'm using Motorcraft 5w20 synthetic and have never used e85. Which recommendation should I follow?
I'm considering e85. How does this affect oil life/change interval?

I would consider not using E85 unless you're filling up a rental car to return. Gallon for gallon, gas has more BTU's per gallon than E85. So on a per BTU basis, gas is cheaper, but on a per gallon basis E85 is cheaper.

Originally Posted By: Kuato

You didn't say if it's an EB or NA engine....I believe that the EB recommends 5k.

Ford's recommended OCI is the same for EcoBoosts as it is naturally aspirated engines & that isn't wise advice since EcoBoosts are bad about fuel dilution & shearing.

5k OCI is for inadvertent reset of IOLM.
The IOLM will default to 12 months if that will be sooner than calculated mileage.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Branson304
Originally Posted By: Kuato

Ford's recommended OCI is the same for EcoBoosts as it is naturally aspirated engines & that isn't wise advice since EcoBoosts are bad about fuel dilution & shearing.

Ah ok thanks...wasn't sure about the non F150s; I agree, the turbo/DI combo is much harsher on oil than the other engines. Maybe we can just run our NA engines a lot longer LOL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back