20yr old Techumseh runs then quits

Status
Not open for further replies.
10HP on a generator. Runs for about 30 seconds then quits. Wait a couple of minutes and it will start and then do the same thing again.

I took the carb bowl off and the float seems to be working ok.

Any Ideas?

Thanks a ton!

It's not getting fuel. something in the line may be letting a trickle through enough to fill the bowl for a time frame which then is used up at a pace too fast for the restricted flow. I'd pull the fuel line and see how the flow is. Also check/take off the fuel tank and get the crud out of there. It could be very small particles blocking a jetting area also.

Fuel filter plugged?

Fuel line plugged? Follow SumpChump's advice.

Fuel tank cap not venting? Try starting it without cap.

Not getting fuel- Partially clogged filter or even gas tank vent is clogged. If its been sitting long time could be a cruddy carb too.

First you gotta determine whether it's losing spark or losing fuel. Most of the time it's a fuel deliver problem because carburetors get clogged up real easy. Ignition systems don't get clogged up; they either work or they don't work. Is the ignition system breaker points or electronic magneto; do you know ?

Originally Posted By: Kawiguy454
Not getting fuel- Partially clogged filter or even gas tank vent is clogged. If its been sitting long time could be a cruddy carb too.

+1 this is what I was thinking. I would replace the filter and consider taking the carb out and giving it a good soak/cleaning.

Got it! It was a little piece of hair thickness wire that holds the needle valve to the tang on the float.

I had it in the wrong spot. It was not on the tang. As soon as I put it on the tang it kept running. Maybe it kept the needle valve from opening much.

Thanks BITOG guys!

Have you cleaned the holes in the main jet yet? You clean the varnish out of the hole in the side of jet Down a little bit below the top. This is all that stuff on the bowl nut. Please post a follow up.

Originally Posted By: andyd
Please post a follow up.

He actually did, but you didn't read through the posts before posting.
grin2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back