Can you have a car towed from a public street?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all, long time reader first time poster. Question in detail is, there's a car parked on my street that hasn't moved since we moved in here, give or take 5 months, parking on this street is very congested as it is and it is just wasting space. I would be nice and talk to the owners of the vehicle but they're druggies and quite frankly I don't really feel like dealing with that. Long story short in the state of Illinois can you have a vehicle towed from a location for this exact reason? I've looked all over the web I can't exactly find a clear yes or no answer. Thanks in advance!
-Alex

You need to check your local laws. Around here you can call the police non emergency line and report a vehicle. They will have someone come out and put a warning on the car and mark the tires. If it is still there 72 hours after being marked, the vehicle will be towed.

Well in my town, the cops will come out. (If you call them). The will put chock lines down and see if the car moves. If it doesnt well it gets towed.But they cant just tow it becuase you say so. You dont own that street, its public property. Im guessing your town says cars cant just sit idle for that long of a period of time.

Were pretty leaniant on small traffic stuff here, I'll probably call on it when I have time. I doubt the druggies will even notice.

I'll ask the non emergency personnel (if they still answer the line there) I really hope this thing gets taken care of.

Here it can sit indefinitely if it has valid plates on it. If they expire it will be lowed when someone complains.

I would go down to county and file a complaint. We had some teens many years back who's car broke down in front of our place. They insured us they would have it moved within the week and as the months added up the car never moved. I went and filed a complaint with the city and 3 days later they issued a tow notice on the car. I guess the kids seen it and they scrapped it off. A day or so later the city issued another and the next morning I seen the kids towing it away.

Are the plates for the car up to date? If not I'm sure you could have it towed but I would still call and ask before hand.

Yes if there is an EPA violation like and oil drip. Used to do it all the time as a property manager and now as a landlord. If the local PD isn't onboard it takes a little longer but no more than an extra day quite easy. Another option is out of date tags or 'missing' tags.

There usually is a local ordinance on it. If your local pd isn't on board, first you should need to research your local statutes and be able to point out the specific ordinance in your complaint.

Otherwise you are coming in uninformed and just making assumptions about how things should work.

I agree with everyone else: call the non-emergency police line. Unless it's already too close to a fire hydrant or blocking someone's driveway, the police or city's parking authority should make that decision.

No unless it violated a limit, ordinance or law(registered?).

Just because you believe it's wasting a space to them it is where they park the car.

I live on a dead end street where there are not any ordinances. As long as the vehicle has valid plates, it can stay.

OTOH, there are streets not too far away where a few RV's park. The ordinance there is that vehicles can not stay parked in the same space more than seven days. So the owners of those vehicles move them to a new spot every week.

Not a whole lot can done legally unless there is an ordinance that the owner can not get around.

Same thing where I live, you can't legally park more than one week at the same place (public place). Cops put some paint marks on ground and tires to see if vehicle has moved, if it hasn't after a week, then you're fined and vehicle is seized. Of course it happens rarely and only on crowded area, but it is a gerenal rule all over the country.

Sorry it can't help you. In the other hand, in private/semi public place we use giant stickers "no parking" on vehicle glasses, usually it works. You can also use some sharpie to put various inscriptions on the car itself...depend on you
smile.gif

I only used some giant stickers once in my life, at work when some douche parked for two days in the firemen entrance - safety measure since it was blocking all firemen access in case of emergency.

Another time was at friend's place, some drunk girl parked after a heavy party her Renault Twingo preventing 3 cars to move. Friend had to go to work, so we towed the Twingo for like two meters, so that he could go out of his place. Lucky for us it was just a Twingo!

Good luck with your neighbours, sometimes not the easiest aspect of living in community.

Originally Posted By: raytseng

Otherwise you are coming in uninformed and just making assumptions about how things should work.

But don't let that stop you.
Seems this is how a large segment of our population goes about their daily lives.

Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en
Originally Posted By: The_Eric
How about calling your local PD?

^^This^^

Yep. Report it as abandoned.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back