Installing differentials

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've done a lot of research over the years and even dabbled in carrier swaps in Ford 8.8's in the past. Thinking about swapping about my open rear dif for an eaton unit in my daily-driver F150 myself but I'm hesitant since its a daily driver.

Talking to some folks on various F150 forums, I know of at least two who installed Eaton's and were able to reuse the stock shims and end up with all measurements within spec. They had friends helping or doing the work, though so they don't know the actual measurements or if carrier bearigns were reused or replaced.

Any thoughts on DIY Ford 9.75 carrier swaps? Like I said, I've researched a lot and played with the Ford 8.8 also. I figure worst case is the stock shims won't do the trick and I need to try to get it lined up with adjustable shims... or have to throw the stock unit back together and end up using a shop. Anybody have any success?

Also, while I'm familiar with the Ford 9.75 I don't have the tech specs like fastener torque values and carrier bearing preload- does anybody have access to that info?

I've though about doing a gear change on my avalanche, its 4x4 so both diffs. I'm not sure i want to tackle it, but how do i trust a shop to do it right either?

You need a good mechanic, a specialty shop or a dealer with someone able to do the job. Every dealer has a (or should have) real experienced mechanic that can do everything.

Trav, great link! Seems to have most of the info I lack and a good summary of everything in general.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back