Playset/Deck Chair Wood Sealer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking for a good water sealer for a newly acquired play set and for existing deck furniture. I'd like to use something that would last a couple years, but if I need to do it annually, the so be it.

I'd like for it to be readily available, doesn't have to be from a box store, if I have to visit an ACE or other smaller hardware store, that's no problem.

The people we bought the play set from said Thompsons will work just fine, but I'll want to do it annually and they mentioned another brand that I cannot remember now and that should last two years, so I know there are options.

Thoughts?

If I didn't want to do it very often I'd use spar varnish. Especially on outdoor furniture it makes it smooth and it won't splinter or snag clothing.

Depends on the type of wood. If it's ceder or redwood, you do one thing, if it's something else, you do the other. Not much help, but google "your wood type"+preservative.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
If I didn't want to do it very often I'd use spar varnish. Especially on outdoor furniture it makes it smooth and it won't splinter or snag clothing.

Thanks. I'll look that up. For something that is continuously in the weather are we looking at a couple years between uses or is this more of a permanent kind of thing?

Originally Posted By: Oldmoparguy1
Depends on the type of wood. If it's ceder or redwood, you do one thing, if it's something else, you do the other. Not much help, but google "your wood type"+preservative.

Pretty sure it's just normal PT wood. The play set is cedar color, but it appears to just be a stain and not actual cedar.

Thoughts?? Good luck finding any consensus what is best. Here is the best site I know of that discusses "best" deck stains, especially if you dig deep into the site and learn from the comments section.

http://www.deckstainhelp.com/

In general, film forming coatings such as paint and varnish provide the most protection, but on something like a playset that is going to get abused, any crack or chip in the film allows water to get underneath and push the finish off. Then it is more difficult to strip that off for refinishing. I'm not sure if varnish can be used on pressure treated wood.

Penetrating clear coatings last the least amount of time, but require less prep for reapplication. To me, a lightly tinted coating seems the best compromise. Easy recoating with minimal prep time.

So, there is clear, tinted, semi-transparent, then opaque/filmforming.

Consumers Report has a 10 year+ ongoing trial, but the problem is that formulations change almost every 3 years, negating their results. In my results, I have had best luck with lightly tinted oil base products.

Originally Posted By: racer12306
Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit

Thanks. I'll look that up. For something that is continuously in the weather are we looking at a couple years between uses or is this more of a permanent kind of thing?

Spar varnish is marine varnish. It's made to be out in the elements-it's what they use on exterior wood on boats.

preservative for pressure treated lumber
Excerpts,
Quote:
Fences

Fences are fully exposed to the weather, and have at least some parts in contact with soil. Care must be exercised in selecting and applying a finish to obtain a reasonable service life.

Many fences are left to weather naturally. However, if a finish is desired, semi-transparent penetrating stains or water-repellent sealers/preservatives that contain a mildewcide (or otherwise are resistant to mildew) are preferred. These finishes are absorbed into the wood without forming a film; they do not crack or peel. Stains come in a variety of colors and show the wood grain.

Quote:
Decks & Porches

Decks and porches present a particularly severe exposure for both the wood and finishes. Most wood members are in a horizontal or flat position. These horizontal surfaces, especially in decks, are often exposed to the direct rays of the sun and tend to collect moisture, so the weathering process is greatly accelerated. As repeated cycles of wetting and drying occur, checks tend to enlarge rapidly into cracks and, along with the end-grain surfaces, begin to retain moisture. The conditions for decay and insect attack caused by the presence of moisture are thereby greatly improved.

Any film-forming finish is likewise subjected to excessive stress because of the continuous shrinking and swelling of the wood that results from changes in its moisture content. Furthermore, the finish is subjected to abrasive wear, particularly in high-traffic areas. By design, porches are somewhat protected, so the conditions are not normally as severe as those with decks; however, the same conditions — moisture, sun, and abrasive wear — are usually present at least periodically.

For fully exposed decks, a water-repellent sealer or a penetrating semi-transparent stain may provide the best finishing solution, even on wood that has been pressure treated with preservatives. Special formulations made specifically for decks are available. These penetrating deck finishes, at least the water-repellent sealers, may have a shorter service life than paint, but they are more easily renewed. For severe exposures, the finish should be renewed annually; spring is usually the best time. Light-colored penetrating stains will also last longer than dark ones on flat surfaces subjected to traffic, because light stains show the least contrast in grain color as wear occurs. The penetrating finishes need to be refinished every 1 to 2 years.

If it were me, I would let it weather for one season, then I would treat it with a transparent penetrating stain. Depending on local weather conditions, re-treat it as needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back