Oil filter life

Status
Not open for further replies.
Long time listener, first time caller. Jumping right in. I am curious how to tell where a filter is at in it's useful life. I change oil on a few semi trucks as well as my own person pickup and I noticed when I pull the filters off these trucks that have been sitting for a while, the filter is only partially full. We buy quality Donaldson filters so I wouldn't think the ADBV would be the culprit. Also they are all vertical mount with the o-ring to the sky. I'm wondering if this is an indication of where they are at in their service life.

Without an expensive test you really are left guessing. Best bet is to check the oem intervals. You can dissect the filters and check for high levels of contamination which is usually not a great sign.

Typically, the ones who post pictures of dissected oil filters end up with comments like "looks great" and "could have gone much longer". By this anecdotal evidence, I have gone to changing the filter every other oil change. It seems like filters have a much greater lifespan than most are given credit for. In fact, as the filter loads some, it even gets better (higher efficiency).

Polaris tests oil filter in addition to oil analysis. If the filter is clogged with fine particles it will not be easy to tell if the filter is cut open. If the engine was super sludged and you dumped in some decent cleaning motor oil, then the filter would have sludge and/or grit in it, easy to see.

I would change the filter when oil is changed or when its reached its useful life as indicated by the filter manufacturer.

On our dodge trucks, it's a full flow filter. With no drain back valve. It's never full when you take them off.

Can the same be said in regards to the filters on a Detroit 60 series? These filters on the big trucks are located on the passenger side of the block, straight vertical with the o-ring facing upward. I was just informed earlier today that EcoPure recommends a 25k mi interval for any full flow filter used in conjunction with their OPS system(which is what we have on two of our trucks currently).

With regular sampling would it eventually show a spike in soot and insoluble levels as the filters begin to "load up"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back