Tex disappears after following a hotlink

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I am on this and other forums and I follow a link to another site when I return back the text in all of the posts disappears. What is causing that?

Anyone know? I am running win XP SP3

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Doog

You should have upgraded to 7, or 10, you are in serious danger of having your PC compromised, if it hasn't already been!
Even if you have an anti virus program MS is no longer offering critical security patches to protect your computer.

The only advice I will give you is get rid of XP and upgrade
to 7 or 10.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: GiveMeAVowel

You should have upgraded to 7, or 10, you are in serious danger of having your PC compromised, if it hasn't already been!
Even if you have an anti virus program MS is no longer offering critical security patches to protect your computer.

The only advice I will give you is get rid of XP and upgrade
to 7 or 10.

I went from XP to 8.1 several years ago (as in, bought new computer).
I was happy I did.
I have a lot of files in Excel and had to always back them up onto a CD
Once I went with 8.1, they were automatically saved to "the Cloud"
For me, it was a feature worth the price of the computer.

In the name of computer security, get rid of the XP.

Now, what is actually causing your problem,,, I not a computer expert.

You guys really should look at all of the spying MS is doing on your machines...with Win10

BTW I figured the issue...it's a Chrome bug. Really easy to overcome.

Also, I run XP on several machines that are used for non-critical computing and my systems go through 2 separate firewalls. So I haven't had a virus in over 5 years as my email ISP has a state of the art garbage/spam scanner that eliminates 99% of it. The front end is the key. So is staying off all kinds of questionable websites.

Last edited:
You guys really should look at all of the spying MS is doing on your machines...with Win10

BTW I figured the issue...it's a Chrome bug. Really easy to overcome.

Also, I run XP on several machines that are used for non-critical computing and my systems go through 2 separate firewalls. So I haven't had a virus in over 5 years as my email ISP has a state of the art garbage/spam scanner that eliminates 99% of it. The front end is the key. So is staying off all kinds of questionable websites.

That only partially helps.. What happens is they hack the ad providers (for banner ads etc) and inject malicious code into those.

So you can go to www.anylegitsitewithads.com and get a drive by virus on your computer... doesnt even require click

The worst sites have to do with TV streaming or adult content..but I had one from www.subaruforester.org once..

Blocking ads does fix this mostly... but not 100%

Microsoft can spy on me and there's nothing there to benefit themselves with.

Also, I've been running Windows 10 (Firefox) since it''s inception. No problems whatsoever. My Avira Pro does it's antivirus job and a once-a-day scan of SUPERAntiSpyware free edition keeps my cookies/malware to next-to-nothing.

Go Windows 10..... no real complaints having it.

Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en
Microsoft can spy on me and there's nothing there to benefit themselves with.

Exactly. Turn off all the privacy stuff manually, and whatever's left they can have.

What are you worried about? Do you think Microsoft or Google cares that you 'accidentally' went to boobs.com a few years ago? All they care about is amassing website traffic data and looking at trends for advertising reasons. There isn't a folder with your name on it on a CIA server somewhere with a list of every site you've ever been to and transcripts of all of your boobs.com chat sessions. Believe me, nobody cares. If you're that worried about it, the only way to preserve any semblance of privacy on the Internet is to never use it.

http://www.computerworld.com/article/302...ur-privacy.html
http://www.zdnet.com/article/when-it-comes-to-windows-10-privacy-dont-trust-amateur-analysts/
http://lifehacker.com/what-windows-10s-privacy-nightmare-settings-actually-1722267229

I'd be (and am) much more concerned about all the personally identifiable information your doctor and your bank have on you that is accessible online nowadays. There are hackers who are actively going after that info all day, every day, and you just have to trust that these companies are up to the task of defending it. I could not care any less about who knows what I buy at Amazon, but someone finding out my entire medical and financial history scares the [censored] out of me.

CN: Don't be afraid of Windows 10. Anything you may give up in 'privacy' is more than made up in security improvements.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back