RIP Muhammad Ali

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
sad day, truly one of the all time greats and a classy guy...

The original 'trash talker'....

Joe Louis was 'a classy guy'....Cassius Clay was not, IMO.
I was never a fan after he became a draft dodger..

Originally Posted By: pbm

Joe Louis was 'a classy guy'....Cassius Clay was not, IMO.
I was never a fan after he became a draft dodger..

+1

He stood up for his principles and gave up nearly 4 years in the prime of his career. His appeal got to the US Supreme Court in 1971....where his conviction was overturned 8-0 (one judge abstaining). I don't see anything dodgy about that.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
sad day, truly one of the all time greats and a classy guy...

Back when he was still Cassius Clay he got stopped for speeding in my home county. His attorney was an old law school friend of my father so he called Dad to see what could be done. Dad got the County Judge to "file it away" and when Dad's friend asked how much Clay owed him Dad said, "Have him send me an autographed picture." I still have it, and the autograph reads:

"To ***** ******,
A Good Lawyer
From
Cassius Clay
Next Champ
Liston in Six
1963"

I wish you could all be party to this conversation on this bus. Lady with annoying Brooklyn Fran Drescher accent is talking about how tough a sport boxing is, and comparing it to football with someone. Oy.

R.I.P., Muhammad Ali.

Originally Posted By: 69GTX
He stood up for his principles and gave up nearly 4 years in the prime of his career. His appeal got to the US Supreme Court in 1971....where his conviction was overturned 8-0 (one judge abstaining). I don't see anything dodgy about that.

Tell that to the family of a draftee who was KIA.

Originally Posted By: pbm
Originally Posted By: 69GTX

Tell that to the family of a draftee who was KIA.

PS: I watched many Ali fights where I felt he should have been on 'Dancing with the Stars' rather than in the ring.

RIP but I never realized he was such a "big mouth" fighter. George Foreman was a quiet mouse leading up to the infamous "rumble in the jungle" fight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back