Mint 17.3 question..

Status
Not open for further replies.
I use Mint 17.3, and really like it. Occasionally I'll see in the tool bar [I think that's what they call it], the bar at the very bottom of the screen with the icons. Anyway next to the icon showing if updates are available I see what looks like a red ballpoint pen. It's not there all the time, only on occasions, like once or twice a year. Left or right clicking on it does nothing. Does anyone know what it represents? Thanks!

Nothing. Last night, for no rhyme or reason it vanished once again.
21.gif

Everything was updated so it has nothing to do with that.

Well, let us know if it shows up again and you can hover over it. I've never come across it. The update icon does the green mark for good, blue for needing attention, greyed out for working, and red for failed connection. But, I haven't seen what you described. Do you have any strange clipboard utilities running in the background? I'm just trying to think what might use a pen type icon.

Originally Posted By: ClutchDisc
Take a screenshot of it next time, I've never seen that before!

Garak- Nothing running in the background, and the machine is fine.

ClutchDisc- I was going to take a screen shot got sidetracked and forgot! I will do it next time, but that could be months from now!

Out of desperation I might, using my file manager, look in /usr/share/icons. I would find the name of the folder that corresponds to the icons set I was using (Is Mint's called "Minty" these days? I don't know.) and I would try to find the icon that I saw: Perhaps its file name would give away its purpose? eg. It might be called wifi_disconnected.png or some thing.

Originally Posted By: uc50ic4more
Out of desperation I might, using my file manager, look in /usr/share/icons. I would find the name of the folder that corresponds to the icons set I was using (Is Mint's called "Minty" these days? I don't know.) and I would try to find the icon that I saw: Perhaps its file name would give away its purpose? eg. It might be called wifi_disconnected.png or some thing.

I just had a look, no luck.

There must be a way in the Mint toolbar to add or remove items from the Notification Area. I wonder if in that dialogue box there'd be a listing of all the "widgets" that are placed there, active or inactive.

Originally Posted By: Garak
I just looked, and can't spot anything that would match. Of course, these icons always have alternate views when they're supposedly doing something.

I looked again with no luck. If it happens again I'll post a screen shot. I even searched some of the Linux forums to see if anyone else posted about and came up with nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back