Opinions on Oil for upcoming DIY Changes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all, new user to the forum from another member's referral this week. Looking forward to contributing and learning.

I think my question is relatively simple, but looking for advice.

1. I've got a 2010 Acura MDX with 78k miles (acquired 3 years ago with 50k miles, average about 8-10k miles per year). It had an oil change program through the dealer so the last 30k miles have been done at the dealer about every 4-5k miles with Acura's branded synthetic blend (or so they say that is what is going in). This program is ending and I'm trying to decide what oil and schedule I'd like to maintain going forward. I'm glad to be back to DIY on this car, since I do all of the fluids on all of my vehicles, but couldn't pass up the free oil changes since they were included.

2. The manual prescribes 5w-20 and API certified. It does not specify change intervals, but does have a variable/dynamic "oil life" calculator in the computer.

3. I live in the Northern CA valley, so see very hot summers between 90-100 F and very mild winters, usually between 40-60 F. Occasionally head up to the mountains/snow and will see temps in the single digits and teens, but this is more rare.

4. Driving style is moderate, mostly slow, but occasional hard acceleration. 75% of the time doing shorter trips under 10-15 miles. Mostly city miles. Car does have a towing package, but don't ever tow anything other than a hitch mount bike rack.

5. Vehicle is in excellent condition, no issues and runs well.

I would like to switch to a full synthetic and open to suggestions on change intervals. Was thinking about once a year or before 7500 mile interval on full synthetic?

Thanks!

I like that idea. If you're within the mileage spec for an annual oil change, I'd go with an extended drain oil like Edge, or M1 EP, Amsoil etc... with a decent filter.

I'm not a slave to Mobil 1, but its a great oil, and in this case Mobil 1 EP with a M1 filter might do the trick just fine. It'll give you a year to find a good deal on another jug.

Otherwise, split it down the middle, and run an average synthetic that you can find inexpensively with a wix silver filter or something along those lines and change every six-8 months.

With your driving habits I would pick any name brand synthetic with a good oil filter of your choice and change both once a year. Buy an Ultra and change the filter every other year if so inclined.

Honestly any of the proper spec oil will do the job with out any noticeable differences.

Does the Acura have the every other oil filter suggestion like my old Honda? We used to go over 7-8K+ on synblend in the Honda, without issue. You can keep to the Synblend if you want and will be fine stretching it out. However, a branded Synblend will be about as much as a quality, but discounted price Syn. I run NAPA syn in my Subaru and it cost me about $3.50 a quart on 6-7.5k OCI. It is under warranty so I am not stretching it out yet.

If you are set on Syn, I would just go with whatever Syn is on sale or your brand preface and a quality filter once a year. Your short tripping might decrease the OCI but just follow the computer.

Any synthetic 5W20 will be fine. I buy whats on sale/rebate.

Change the oil when the maintenance minder gets to 20%.

I use Fram Ultra 7317 filters on my Acura. I change them every other oil change, just like Honda recommends. They look fine after two changes when cut apart.

If you haven't changed the transmission fluid, do it NOW. It's super easy, actually easier than an oil change. You change 3 quarts at a time ( a drop and fill). Do three drop and fills with a little drive time between each and your fluid is considered mostly changed. Your car called for ATF-Z1 fluid. That fluid is no longer made. ATF-DW1 is the new fluid. It is back spec'd to replace ATF-Z1. IF your local dealers wont sell it to you for $6 or $7/quart, just buy it on Amazon or eBay. You can almost always get it for around $6 quart delivered on eBay. You can buy ATF-Z1 "sorta compatible" transmission fluids for like $5 at Wal-Mart. Don't bother when you can get the OEM fluid for just $1 more per quart on average.

You need to replace the crush washer at every oil change. The engine oil and transmission drain use different size crush washers. Again, buy them on eBay and you can get a lifetime supply of them for under $10.

Your timing belt needs done at 100K miles or 7 years I believe. If operated in extreme conditions, Honda recommends 60K miles timing belt replacement.

If you like to stay with 5W20 then any conventional or syn-blend will be okay with oil life monitor. If you like synthetic then 0W20 is better because it has better base stock than 5W20.

welcome2.gif

Any 5w20 or 0w20 with the oil life calculator's recommended OCI. This month, PP is probably the best deal this month, as there is a $2/qt rebate on it, and some places have it on sale.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime

I use Fram Ultra 7317 filters on my Acura. I change them every other oil change, just like Honda recommends. They look fine after two changes when cut apart.

If you haven't changed the transmission fluid, do it NOW. It's super easy, actually easier than an oil change. You change 3 quarts at a time ( a drop and fill). Do three drop and fills with a little drive time between each and your fluid is considered mostly changed. Your car called for ATF-Z1 fluid. That fluid is no longer made. ATF-DW1 is the new fluid. It is back spec'd to replace ATF-Z1. IF your local dealers wont sell it to you for $6 or $7/quart, just buy it on Amazon or eBay. You can almost always get it for around $6 quart delivered on eBay. You can buy ATF-Z1 "sorta compatible" transmission fluids for like $5 at Wal-Mart. Don't bother when you can get the OEM fluid for just $1 more per quart on average.

You need to replace the crush washer at every oil change. The engine oil and transmission drain use different size crush washers. Again, buy them on eBay and you can get a lifetime supply of them for under $10.

Your timing belt needs done at 100K miles or 7 years I believe. If operated in extreme conditions, Honda recommends 60K miles timing belt replacement.

Thanks for the input. I actually just changed my diff, coolant, trans and power steering fluid last week. Ready to finally start doing the oil myself!

Thanks for all of the input. I think I'll start with Mobil 1, either the standard synthetic or the synthetic EP depending on price. Looks like I can get 5qts of the standard synthetic 5W20 for $20 online. Since I'll only need to change it once a year, I figure I can stomach $20 for the oil and another $5-$10 for the filter and stick with full synthetic versus a blend or conventional.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: delirium330
Originally Posted By: bubbatime

Thanks for the input. I actually just changed my diff, coolant, trans and power steering fluid last week. Ready to finally start doing the oil myself!

Since you'd like to do synthetic there's a couple good deals going on currently.
1. Pennzoil is offering $10 back on their 5 quart jugs via rebate. Cheapest places for PP is walmart and Amazon.
2. AAP (don't know if there's any by you) has a deal this month- 5 quart jug of QSUD and oil filter for $19.99. Combine that with a rebate of $7 through QS and you're coming out with 5 quarts of oil and a filter for $12.99.
Good luck!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back