getting a TSB done for free

Status
Not open for further replies.
So i have a airbag light on the infiniti. Its on 2005 so obvious no warranty on this. Its not part of the huge takata airbag recall or anything like that.

I have a fault on pass side module. Upon doing on my homework on solutions, i came across a TSB that was updated. There was an original recall that i took my car in for to address this problem, the original solution was to ziptie and epoxy the airbag connector (LOL LITERALLY SAYS THAT). I remember bring that in like in 2012-2014 for that fix. The updated TSB now says to replace the harness according to All-data.

Now since i'm completely out of warranty and the airbag light blinking. I'm wondering should my dealership do this under "goodwill". I dont have a relationship with the dealership, i do my own repairs and services. I feel this is something that should be covered, and i would need to sit down and talk to someone to get this possibly done for free.

I would show up and ask instead of calling. I started out my career as a mechanic at a Honda dealer. There were things we fixed out of warranty for free that were not under a recall. There was also things we fixed that we never informed the customer of when they brought their car in for an oil change or anything else. It could be the airbag module. I replaced a few that had bad capacitors.

Originally Posted By: bowlofturtle
I dont have a relationship with the dealership

That's generally how you get things goodwilled. All you can do is be extremely polite and possibly dangle the prospect of your future business. It depends on the manufacturer, but the service manager might not even be allowed to use goodwill funds on a 2005.

You're at the dealer's mercy, so be nice.

If they shoot you down, try sending an email to Infiniti.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
I would show up and ask instead of calling. I started out my career as a mechanic at a Honda dealer. There were things we fixed out of warranty for free that were not under a recall. There was also things we fixed that we never informed the customer of when they brought their car in for an oil change or anything else. It could be the airbag module. I replaced a few that had bad capacitors.

Once i get some time i will go up there and ask nicely.

Originally Posted By: Ethan1
Originally Posted By: bowlofturtle
I dont have a relationship with the dealership

That's generally how you get things goodwilled. All you can do is be extremely polite and possibly dangle the prospect of your future business. It depends on the manufacturer, but the service manager might not even be allowed to use goodwill funds on a 2005.

Originally Posted By: Bandito440
You're at the dealer's mercy, so be nice.

If they shoot you down, try sending an email to Infiniti.

Agreed. I dont expect anything. As i'm in no way entitled to anything, the parts are about $80 for a replacement connector ( looks to be beefy and better fitting) and some heat shrink w/ etc stuff. If they shoot me down i'll gladly do the repairs myself. 11year old car with 100k miles, no one cares too much about it.

I just came across this TSB while doing research on how to fix my airbag light. This beats replacing the whole module.

Better approach would be to have them perform some minor work and ask about tsb. At least they are get compensated for the time/effort to write your car, process and use their profit generating garage bay.

I found many Acura tsb done free if I do other service at same time even minor.

The other alternative is to contact infinity customer service and ask.

Originally Posted By: madRiver
Better approach would be to have them perform some minor work and ask about tsb. At least they are get compensated for the time/effort to write your car, process and use their profit generating garage bay.

I found many Acura tsb done free if I do other service at same time even minor.

The other alternative is to contact infinity customer service and ask.

What might be minor work? As a true BITOG member, i've done my oil change and other fluids recently along with air filters. Other then a good car wash and my airbag light being on. There isn't much to do.

Can you provide a link to the TSB?

Sometimes TSBs are associated with an extended warranty for the part in question. If that's the case, they should fix it for free, assuming you're still under the extended warranty.

However, many, many TSBs do not come with any extended warranty coverage for the part in question or problem, they're just documents giving techs solutions to common issues.

I'm not sure how to link to it. It was on a private site that i had to join to be a member of to get it.

ITB10-036A is the original recall that did the epoxy stuff that i had done at the dealership a few years back.

ITB12-034B is the connector replacement that i want them to do to address my B1129 fault. I pulled this from alldata.

You'll eventually need tires or an alignment done. Perhaps that would be a good time to give them some business and ask about the TSB.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back