99' S10 - Suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I just picked up a dirt cheap 99' S10 with the 2.2 4 cylinder and 5 speed manual. Unknown service history, but it seems decently maintained. One owner with 148K on it. Was looking for an oil suggestion. I was tossing up between PYB 10w30 or Rotella T5 10w30. Another thought was using up my stash of Rotella T6 0w40, but there is a couple small oil leaks and I don't want to make them worse, so not sure about the blend or full synthetic. Will not be a daily driver, mainly a yard dog, just hauling if need to be. What do you guys think?

It's an old truck and a yard hauler. I wouldn't go nuts, just use whatever you have around the garage and enjoy. Good truck for your need.

I like those ideas; whatever is on sale. It will see the occasional trip over the mountain to the dump or lumberyard, good excuse to blow the cob-webs out of it. I'll probably just run the ol' Fram OCOD filters or whatever's on sale.

Originally Posted By: Delta
I like those ideas; whatever is on sale. It will see the occasional trip over the mountain to the dump or lumberyard, good excuse to blow the cob-webs out of it. I'll probably just run the ol' Fram OCOD filters or whatever's on sale.

Try rockauto for the closeouts. You could grab a whatever filter for less than $2 that will suit your need. You could even get the Delcos for under$3.50 if you want. Buy a few to offset the cost of shipping.

Those engines are tough....any 5W-30 or 10W-30 at reasonable intervals will be more than enough.

However, maybe try a high-mileage oil to help with the leak. Can't hurt.

Originally Posted By: askani79705
Supertech Conventional,why pay extra for a yard truck ?

This +1

"Yard truck"... so, that means 1) extreme short-tripping 2) towing and/or hauling 3) once a year oil changes, max.

Full synthetic is a no-brainer. I like Valvoline Maxlife Full Synthetic (it slowed my oil consumption by 75%). Mobil1 HM is another good option.

If you feel that full syn would be too much for a "yard dog", consider this: you could leave a good synthetic in the sump for years if you aren't putting a lot of miles on the truck. You probably wouldn't want to leave conventional in for the same length of time.

Oil is oil. Buy a known name brand properly rated oil and you will be good to go. How about the trans.differential and radiator and hoses?

I guess I should have mentioned it will used to go to the dump or work once a week atleast (60mi). I estimate 7 to 8k miles a year. I might go with a good blend. As far as the coolant and trans. The Dexcool looks clean as is the radiator. Will do a drain and fill before winter. Hoses look decent, but for how cheap they are I might as well replace them. Transmission and rear end will likely get a pass for now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back