Buying Used Vehicle From California

Status
Not open for further replies.
I live in Ohio and found a vehicle located in California that I am interested in.

Even after the expenses to get the vehicle home, it is still a good deal.

My question is: would there be any issues with the vehicle's performance being built to California's emissions/smog specs and then used in Ohio?

Shouldn't be any issues. It'll be a low emissions vehicle that keeps the birds and skies of Ohio happy!

Some vehicles of the last 10-15 years had been designed for 50 states emission.

Worse case scenario, California vehicle may have worse gas mileage by 1-2 MPG.

Finding some emission parts like a catalytic converter may cost you more. Don't buy a car from the beach area as they rust too. Cars from the desert have sun baked paint and interiors

Originally Posted By: Doog
What kind of car is this mystery vehicle?

And what year?

I sent my NY 2000 Buick Century to CA last year, and it past CA state inspection with no problems. As long as there aren't any hidden surprises, like rot or bad paint, bad transmission, etc. If the car recently passed their emissions inspection it should be running pretty good. Still I like to see and drive before I buy.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Finding some emission parts like a catalytic converter may cost you more.

I'd second this. My saturn is CA emissions. The CA cat is expensive compared to the other cat option. NY has a law at least that if a car is equipped with CA emissions equipment, a shop must replace it with CA compliant equipment.

There are other states that have adopted California emissions. Plus there are vehicles sold in Ohio that could have California emissions or Federal emissions.

YES, it can make a difference.

I test drove a 2013 VW GTI here in Ohio with the CBFA engine code which is for California emissions plus the states which adopted it and another GTI with the CCTA Federal emissions. Both engines are rated for 200 HP. The CCTA Federal tune GTI definitely feels more responsive. I didn't buy the CBFA car because I didn't want black.

Note however: The California emissions warranty is better than the Federal emissions warranty. I don't know the full specifics but I do not think it extends to those who purchase a vehicle with California emissions that live in a Federal emissions state.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
Nothing wrong with using a California emissions car outside California.
You don't have to replace California emissions parts with new California emissions parts if the car is used outside the state. Rock Auto, for example, will indicate when a non California "approved" part will fit and work. (And be a lot cheaper).

Usually it is the emission part if it is old (cat and exhaust manifold mainly), and the mpg because of this emission standard (usually around 0.5-1mpg less, or slightly lower hp, or both).

A friend buys cars here in California and ships them to the UK.

The buyers in the UK rave about the pristine condition of these cars.

My 61 E-Type Jag went there. It was completely rust free and ran like new. The silver paint was faded as was the red leather interior. The buyer took the trouble to contact me and tell me how happy he was with the car. He stated it was like a time machine.

It's worth noting if there are differences in a California emission vehicle vs a Federal vehicle. The California version of the GTI as an example has a smog pump and a hose redirecting dirty air to the air filter housing. I think the auto makers are very aware of any performance gains they can have with Federal vs California

2uyrfgi.jpg

1427l89.jpg

Yea pending on the car it can get weird.

I know the 4th gen maxima in my sig. Fed emissions has 3 o2 sensors and Cali had a 4th and a different cat that was SUPER pricey stock.

I had a question about bring home cali cars, ive read on a few forums that people often get burned on buying cars that owed the state money and the new owners are the ones that owe. I think the logic behind it was that the car owed everything and not the owner at the time. Maybe i'm completely off on this but people made it seem like it was a huge issue.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv

Note however: The California emissions warranty is better than the Federal emissions warranty. I don't know the full specifics but I do not think it extends to those who purchase a vehicle with California emissions that live in a Federal emissions state.

As I understand it your locality has to have mandatory emissions testing and you have to fail it for them to step up and fix stuff.

Some of the time the Cali stuff is just a year ahead of Federal. Using saturns as an example, the cali ones got electric EGR valves in 1994 instead of 95, and air injector pumps in 1999 instead of 2000.

Northeast states got Cali emissions too. I don't get my tailpipe sniffed, only an OBD scan, and 90% of my beater emissions problems are EVAP related.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back