5W20 in place of 5W30 - Nissan

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm coming up for an oil change on my 2015 Rogue. The manual states that the preferred oil is a synthetic 0W20, but conventional 5W30 may be used in its place. I've got a nice jug of Valvoline WB 5W20 sitting on the shelf and was wondering if it would be safe to use in place of the 5W30.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
The manual allows 0W20 so 5W20 will be good. but don't extend OCI longer than the interval in the manual.

That was my thinking as well. I just don't understand why they would go from 0W20 to 5W30 and not mention 5W20. Perhaps a synthetic 0W20 has a stronger film strength than a conventional 5W20, thus the 5W30 recommendation if going conventional?

Originally Posted By: Audioquest
Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
The manual allows 0W20 so 5W20 will be good. but don't extend OCI longer than the interval in the manual.

That was my thinking as well. I just don't understand why they would go from 0W20 to 5W30 and not mention 5W20. Perhaps a synthetic 0W20 has a stronger film strength than a conventional 5W20, thus the 5W30 recommendation if going conventional?

Subaru's manual does it too, 5w-20 might just be an American invention or something. Either way, obviously it's fine because it's between 0w-20 and 5w-30.

P6281336.jpg

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3427767/Condensed_BITOG_learning

So Nissan's documentation says synthetic 0W-20 or conventional 5W-30? That's pretty interesting. I've only ever heard of that sort of recommendation for lawnmowers. IIRC Briggs & Stratton specs SAE30 or synthetic 5W-30. I think Kawasaki might also have a viscosity difference based on oil composition.

I agree with HTSS TR on this here. It is strange that they did give the ok for the 5w30 conventional.

I would prefer to run a 30 operating viscosity if that were my circumstance. Just because it's the same motor as what's in my car. What's really changed with the VQ35 between the two latest generation? I just don't quite get it. Chasing 0.4 mpg I am thinking.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bbhero
I agree with HTSS TR on this here. It is strange that they did give the ok for the 5w30 conventional.

I would prefer to run a 30 operating viscosity if that were my circumstance. Just because it's the same motor as what's in my car. What's really changed with the VQ35 between the two latest generation? I just don't quite get it. Chasing 0.4 mpg I am thinking.

The Rogue has a 2.5L 4 cylinder.

Weird and silly recommendation skipping 5w20 but 5w30 ok. But considering my personal experience with a Nissan 2.5L I'm not surprised.

I mean this is the manufacturer that brought the high dollar 'Genuine' Nissan Ester oil, with no esters.

My only qualm about running 5w20 would be warranty considerations in the event of an unlikely catastrophic engine event. But that is minor consideration I'd think.

Perhaps they are concerned about shear, IMO most 0w20's have better base stocks than a typical 5w20 and are more shear stable.

Even a cheap 5w30 will hold a grade of at least a high 20 after shear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back