Fl400S Opened

Status
Not open for further replies.
No nasty surprises. No holes. Pleats looked decent. This filter was used on my 08 Jeep Wrangler 3.8L. Mileage was just under 4K and oil was PYB conventional 5w-30. This went through winter and had more than a few sub freezing engine starts.
IMG_4409%20Small_zpshqndgyou.jpg

IMG_4408%20Small_zpshjrknwv9.jpg

IMG_4406%20Small_zpscdkpuaqp.jpg

IMG_4407%20Small_zpshqkagbk6.jpg

IMG_4405%20Small_zpsonfw51a3.jpg

I used Motorcrafts for years but am thinking of changing to the Fram ultra which seems to be a better filter with more base threads also.

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
One of my personal favorites. Looks great, thanks for the cut and post!

Mine to. I have used the FL400 and it's close cousin, the FL910 for many years, and have found them to perform very well, even at 10K OCIs.

Branson304, SirTanon,

Sometimes the FL-820S will fail with the same media tearing issue as the Purolator Classic or Pure One.

The 3" OD Motorcraft filters seem good.

Originally Posted By: WellOiled
Branson304, SirTanon,

Sometimes the FL-820S will fail with the same media tearing issue as the Purolator Classic or Pure One.

I'm aware of the issue with the FL820s filters.. and I attribute their issue to the wider diameter, without increased media or support.

The 3" filters, like the FL400s and FL910s, etc.. appear to be designed appropriately and are thus exempt from the problems plaguing the Fl820s, thankfully. (knock on wood)

Originally Posted By: SirTanon
Branson304, SirTanon,

I'm aware of the issue with the FL820s filters.. and I attribute their issue to the wider diameter, without increased media or support.

The 3" filters, like the FL400s and FL910s, etc.. appear to be designed appropriately and are thus exempt from the problems plaguing the Fl820s, thankfully. (knock on wood)

I think they have been one maybe two FL-400's posted here over the years with issues but they are rare birds. Almost all look like the OP's. I still use Motorcrafts with confidence although I don't have anything that takes an 820 and would not use one of those.

Originally Posted By: SirTanon
Branson304, SirTanon,

I think they have been one maybe two FL-400's posted here over the years with issues but they are rare birds. Almost all look like the OP's. I still use Motorcrafts with confidence although I don't have anything that takes an 820 and would not use one of those.

Motorcraft are better, but not immune. Those without metal seams tend to be better, but if it has a metal seem, watchout, failure is much more likely. I don't know MC lineup well enough to tell which model has that design.

Branson304, SirTanon,

There are three FL400S and one FL910S filters listed in the torn filters spreadsheet before it stopped being updated.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
I used Motorcrafts for years but am thinking of changing to the Fram ultra which seems to be a better filter with more base threads also.

On my next OCI I'm going to go Ultra XG2 on the Mountaineer but still an FL400s on the Focus as good Zetec filters are hard to come by and there exists no TG/XG alternatives.

What's the benefit of more threads, filters coming loose a problem?

And besides the torn ones, THREE reported in the last month or two alone that would leak-down; whether failed ADBV or bad base plate seal/construction is unclear. I am disappointed at this because I always felt good running them, too. Now I do not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back