high end gas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do all Shell stations get the same quality gas? The Shell station around here has the same price as the low end places....? Charlie

No, it depends on jurisdictional area. When Calif has gas shortages, it can't bring NM gas in from out of State to LA air basin for instance. But within an area, yeah, sure - you are teh same
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: 4wheeldog
The additives are put in, as ordered for each delivery point. The base gas is all out of the same tank at the same refinery.

+1

My local Shell stations pump low grade fuels from generic suppliers. Been this way for years. Hard starts and poor mpg are the only benefits.

I get better mpg with shell than the Wal-Mart (Murphy) gas in my area. I have checked it to be sure many times. It does make a difference at least where I live.

Best to do your own testing for your area.

Agreed. I used to hate Valero way back in the day. But my local station promotes TT fuel inside and outside and unlike the other stations, bright and clean Valero trucks always deliver the fuel and all of my vehicles get better mpg off it and no hard start issues etc. So that's where I go. No brainer.

Originally Posted By: callbay
I get better mpg with shell than the Wal-Mart (Murphy) gas in my area. I have checked it to be sure many times. It does make a difference at least where I live.

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
No, it depends on jurisdictional area. When Calif has gas shortages, it can't bring NM gas in from out of State to LA air basin for instance. But within an area, yeah, sure - you are teh same
smile.gif

Regardless of where the gas is refined, to import out of state gas it must comply with California regulation, and it costs more to refine California gas that why not many out of state products it. Only when we had shortage and gas price spiked up substantially, out of state refineries produced California gas to make quick profit.

We have a refinery here in town that by their own estimate produces 25% of the gas sold in the state of Ohio. I guarantee you every drop of gas sold around here comes right from there. Some chains have their own additive cocktails, added in at the point the trick is filled. My parents claim better fuel economy with shell, I always get worse. Not alt worse, but worse. And we basically drive identical cars. (09 Taurus, 09 sable)

I can't tell the difference between brands. Gas is gas. Just be sure to use the proper octane.

Originally Posted By: AirgunSavant
Agreed. I used to hate Valero way back in the day. But my local station promotes TT fuel inside and outside and unlike the other stations, bright and clean Valero trucks always deliver the fuel and all of my vehicles get better mpg off it and no hard start issues etc. So that's where I go. No brainer.

Originally Posted By: callbay

Those bright and shiny Valero trucks get their gas from the same fuel terminal as the other guys. It does have the TT additives to meet the spec, but it is the same gas. And that terminal will get it's fuel from a variety of refineries depending on allocation and availability. The major key to buying any fuel is buying from a high volume station so that fuel is "fresher".

let us not overlook maintenance. The cleanliness of the pumps, stations, underground tanks, fuel filters, nozzles, dusty areas, the ground, the smell around the station.

I was just in awe today of how many thousands of gallons a station can pump in one day and you'd never know it if you were blindfolded since the vapors and gasoline liquid pollution is very minimal.

you could also look at the areas and streams, ponds nearby to see if they are being polluted.

but for actual performance, I cannot say for sure. What are you after? smooth running engine, power output, or high mpg....maybe all three???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back