Brand Recommendation - AC Condenser

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need an AC condenser for my mom's 1994 Ford Explorer. OEM Motorcraft part is discontinued, so my only choice is aftermarket. I replaced it once before 6 years ago with a Napa one, and that one is now leaking. I suppose another Napa one will last another 6 years, and my mom probably will be driving something else by then, but I would like something good quality. (I've had cheap condensers fail in less than a year, so I would like to avoid that again) Rockauto has a TYC brand for $65, an "APDI/PRO" for $60, and a "various manufacturer" for $70. Would you recommend any of those, or know of any better ones?

How much is the Napa one? That would be my first inclination. Not sure about those other brands you mentioned on Rock. Those could be one year deals.

I can get another Napa one for about $85 with my employee discount. But it's special order and I'd probably have to pay another $15 or so for shipping.

What I watch for in a replacement A/C condensers, etc, is if steel parts are used next to aluminum fins and tubes. That'll cause a corrosion leak in 1 -2 yrs.

When I figured that out, I got the vary same replacement condenser and was able to take the steel frame off the core, paint the exposed tubes and inside the frame, then I got some .005" mylar plastic and lined the frame during re-assembly. Now the aluminum and steel have no contact and it's been leak free for the last 5 yrs! Note: some OEM condensers pull the same stunt but cover the evidence with paint! Check with a magnet!

Why don't you let the A/C shop handle this? I expect that there are quite a few other problems in the system as well and you don't have a vacuum pump to evacuate the system. Chances are that you need to replace the drier, possibly the expansion valve, weld the leaking pipes, check the compressor and oil, etc.

Originally Posted By: Gokhan
Why don't you let the A/C shop handle this? I expect that there are quite a few other problems in the system as well and you don't have a vacuum pump to evacuate the system. Chances are that you need to replace the drier, possibly the expansion valve, weld the leaking pipes, check the compressor and oil, etc.

How do you know I don't have a vacuum pump? As a matter of fact, I DO have a vacuum pump, as well as several hundred dollars worth of AC tools. I have the stuff to do basically any AC repair, except recover refrigerant. And all the refrigerant already leaked out of this truck, so that's not an issue.

This truck already had the entire AC system rebuilt 6 years ago (which I did myself), and I know it doesn't need anything else besides the leaking condenser.

Originally Posted By: exranger06
Originally Posted By: Gokhan

How do you know I don't have a vacuum pump? As a matter of fact, I DO have a vacuum pump, as well as several hundred dollars worth of AC tools. I have the stuff to do basically any AC repair, except recover refrigerant. And all the refrigerant already leaked out of this truck, so that's not an issue.

This truck already had the entire AC system rebuilt 6 years ago (which I did myself), and I know it doesn't need anything else besides the leaking condenser.

It sounds good.

I would go by visual as far as the brand is concerned.

Originally Posted By: exranger06

You probably need to replace the drier as well, as they go bad when the system is empty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back