Quitetest HD Diesel engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Could be oil related, but prolly not
laugh.gif

If you were looking to re-power a HD over the road truck (conventional with integrated sleeper) and you wanted seriously nice quiet cab, what motor would you pick?

Here in North America, the Navistar (International) Maxxforce is probably the quietest. If you're repowering an older truck and able to delete all the low emission stuff, that would be a good choice. I've never driven a truck with that engine but it's uber quiet from outside.

Otherwise I'd say a C15 or C13 Cat would be as good as any. I had a pair of C15's ('05 & '07) in trucks with tall gearing so loafing at low rpm they were very quiet unless you were needing to wake up the turbos.

The modern day Detroit DD platform engines and Paccar's MX are reasonably quiet but just guessing you're looking for something older than those.

On the other end of the spectrum is the Cummins N14...oh it's loud. Awesome pulling, awesome engine brake and very durable but very loud and gruff.

Edit: I'm talking about the engines themselves as you asked. Obviously, modern trucks are very quiet with excellent sound deadening in the cabs.

Last edited:
Yeah, Dusty - it's just talk with the BIL who is a retired diesel mechanic, for now. Maybe have an opportunity to pull some bulk wine tanks part time. My sis works for Calif Wine Transport ...

All AG areas to AG areas. Maybe as far north as WA State. But that would be rare. No need to enter Port of Oakland or Port of LA, so no SMOG spot checks
smile.gif
One truck fleet, so exempt from CARB bi-annual checks
smile.gif

Would like a mid-1980's White WIL64T with new interior and modern'ish power and an Allison for stop and go Calif traffic... . So mid-time/miles engine out of a wreck is a possibility. Prolly only something in the USA used inventory though ...

I do wish USA trucks would start moving in the direction of EU trucks as far as low-clean exhaust, and quiet. We're still pretty cowboy with most of our rigs. And since I live on a busy road, I get to hear all about it, un-muffeled Jake's and all
frown.gif

Would be taking the wife along on many runs so would be nice to hear tunes and be able to converse. Longest runs would mostly be overnight, or two. Her hearing is much more acute than mine, so trying to get the noise down in the plan.

Well another option would be a modern engine with an automated manual from the last decade or so. There are bound to be some wrecked trucks with a combination like that already assembled.

Seriously, the Maxxforce is the quietest out there but any Cat, Cummins ISX or Volvo from the last 15 years are reasonable. With a 1980's cab, you're limited by the cab design but I suppose you could make your own upgrades. The Volvo/White cabs may have been better than the rest in those days, too.

Back in the 1980s I twice Drove the worlds plushest Freightliner COE owned by Moore Business forms. The truck had a Cummins KTA 450 it was sweet

Yeah, Calif Tags are determined on weight and value. So you keep the value component down on any part-time rig. So start with a decent pre-1989 (Calif diesel smog regs, v1) ex-ranch truck (usually lower miles) with a chassis generally configured as you wish. Run it in AG registration so you have more hauling options...

Do what you want to power/tranny. Cadillac Shutters, clutch fan, thick pipe exhaust w/ heat wrap, divorced stack brace, double pass muffler, etc. Run it over to commercial truck upholsterer's in Petaluma and get a nice interior with lots of padding and "fuzzy" cloth (like Dashmat) on the walls and overhead and it will be comfy.

We have so much stop and go traffic all over the state now, and my over-60 clutch leg is not all that happy after a while... I'm going Allison for sure. In a pinch, my wife could maneuver it if I was outside for some reason...

But no point in doing all that and putting a thrasher of an engine in it ... I'm not brand loyal, just has to make decent power (400+) to overcome the Allison and we're off.

The SS tanks are whole nuther can of worms ...

Last edited:
I'm kinda jealous. I'd love to build a custom truck like that. I love old trucks and building one with some newer qualities would be neat. I don't get out there to California too much these days but I enjoy seeing the cool (old) trucks.

Dusty, don't get jealous. It ain't happened yet.

Yeah sure, it'll be nice if it comes to pass. Get back on the road again and see some of the country. But, Calif Wine Transport is mostly happy with their contract firms. So doing a one-off part time rig does not pencil out real well.

The kicker is the owner of the company has some real serious hot rods and IF I can score a low deck 2-axle for cheap enough, he'll use it to haul some of his toys and equipment. The things you do not want to pay a contract hauler for due to the down time. Which I won't charge for as I'll take one of our cars too and be off doing my thing while he's doing his ...

It can work out, but it's 60/40 it will not be a go ...

Sorry, I didn't really read your original post properly. I think the engine choice won't matter too much, the key to getting a nice quiet cab will be lots of soundproofing, such as Dynamat. Those old American trucks are certainly tough, but they are a little lacking in creature comforts! Good luck, hope it all goes ahead. Post some pics of the rig if and when you get it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back