Beltorama

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've replaced the drive belts on my Corolla. I went with Bando EPDM, except for the conventional (nonribbed, noncogged) A/C belt, for which there is no correct aftermarket part. So, that one got Toyota OEM made by Mitsuboshi, luckily very cheap. Bando is also an OEM for Toyota. All belts seem to be of high quality.

The hardest part of the job was putting the wrench on some of the bolts where there is little space from the wall. I needed some extension on the wrench as well. Sockets wouldn't go in there.

I used the following exact formula for the belt tension, assuming my right index finger applies 10 lb of perpendicular pressure:

(Deflection of belt) = (0.25)*(span length of belt between the two pulleys where the force is applied)*(perpendicular force applied on belt midway between the two pulleys)/(belt tension)

I've also replaced the A/C idler pulley with a Dayco one. The Dayco has a made-in-Taiwan standard tightly sealed NTN bearing. The Toyota OEM 88440-12160-83 has a Nippondenso custom bearing. OEM is a heavier pulley, of same or very similar geometry, with a loosely sealed bearing. To my dismay, it was unavailable in USA at the time I needed it. The Dayco pulley seemed to fit well but it has more seal friction because it's the tight-seal type. I'm not sure if the OEM pulley had gone bad but I was occasionally hearing some pulley noise coming from somewhere. The coating on the OEM pulley was also gone.

IMAG8318.jpg

IMAG8320.jpg

IMAG8322.jpg

IMAG8323.jpg

Toyota/Nippondenso OEM 88440-12160-83 A/C idler pulley. Note that one of the edges is thinner than the other -- same with Dayco. The Nippondenso (ND) date code on the pulley bearing dust cover is May (E = 5) 1983.

IMAG8646.jpg

IMAG8647.jpg

IMAG8650.jpg

IMAG8324.jpg

Dayco 89039 pulley:

IMAG8325.jpg

IMAG8326.jpg

IMAG8327.jpg

IMAG8328.jpg

IMAG8329.jpg

Is the bearing on the Dayco idler serviceable? Just press out and in? My 4Runner has the same stock idler with the unserviceable bearing but apparently some model years had ones with a circlip that allows the bearing to be removed.

Originally Posted By: nobb
Is the bearing on the Dayco idler serviceable? Just press out and in? My 4Runner has the same stock idler with the unserviceable bearing but apparently some model years had ones with a circlip that allows the bearing to be removed.

There is no point in trying to replace the bearing because the bearing costs more than the pulley assembly including the bearing.

Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder
That Toyota belt looks like ancient stock.

I doubt it because I believe Toyota has a storage-time limit on rubber parts. The date code seems to be 12 29 060 but I'm not sure if it means the 29th week of 2012.

Originally Posted By: Colt45ws
The copyright on the packaging is 1986 which would concern me a fair bit.

I am pretty sure that 12 29 060 means Year 2012, Week 29, Batch 060.

Note that this Toyota/Mitsuboshi belt is also made in USA. I didn't know Mitsuboshi had a US factory.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back