Scientists discuss making artificial humans

Status
Not open for further replies.
LINK

Quote:
In mid-May, more than 100 scientists, entrepreneurs and other experts were summoned to Harvard and asked not to talk to the media or even tweet about the meeting. After all, what they were about to discuss — the creation of a synthetic human genome — would be highly contentious.

Instead of reading the human genome, this effort would be about writing it, which would, in theory, allow those in charge of this technology to create synthetic human beings.

Imagine ordering your custom made girlfriend with whatever physical or mental attributes you want. . .

And then of course there would be the whole push to implement equal rights for artificial humans. . .

I wonder what the point is?.....Do we not have enough real humans?

I'd rather see them working on something necessary like alternate energy sources.

Originally Posted By: SumpChump
Could you imagine how insane they could make a synthetic girlfriend!? Shiver me timbers.

In oil terms, the conventional ones aren't even good yet. Grp 1.

I guess this should be expected.
Step 1 was to map the human genome.
Step 2 is to manipulate it.
Step 3 is to clean up the mess created in step 2.
The people working on this stuff really should study ethics long and hard before engaging in their experimentation. Unfortunately ethics are in short supply right now.

There are two things which drive the innovation
- pron
- military

Both of these industries would immensely benefit from artificial humans. Ethics are never considered when it comes to march of the technology.

You think there was ethics discussion during the Manhattan project?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SumpChump
Could you imagine how insane they could make a synthetic girlfriend!? Shiver me timbers.

Well it would be nice if you could turn the voice off at will.

This is right on track with the current way society is headed. Most kids have no interaction skills. It's life through a texts and electronic communication. Very few know how to have a relationship. Most people think of this technology as a way to create the perfect mate. I would think the military aspect should be much more interesting and scary. Soldiers who have no remorse or feelings. They can invade and kill every thing without the slightest thought. Every man, woman and child destroyed. Sounds good for your side unless you think of how easy it may be to lose control of such a invention. I am going to guess this breed of military would be bred to be larger, stronger and more aggressive than a regular human. Anyone seen "West World"???

We have had the ability of creating synthetic bacterial genomes for a while with great success, I guess that is now the logical progression. Still those are very expensive if you would want it entirely synthetic, but if you took an existing genome and edited it that would be much cheaper. (Coming from a R&D Microbiologist). Ethics aside it is really interesting how they put these together and basically cut and paste it all together in pieces with great efficiency and low errors.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
There are two things which drive the innovation
- pron
- military

Both of these industries would immensely benefit from artificial humans. Ethics are never considered when it comes to march of the technology.

You think there was ethics discussion during the Manhattan project?

Yes, there was. I think it went, we have a weapon here that can bring a quick end to the war in the Pacific. It was estimated to save one million casualties by avoiding the need to invade the Japanese home islands.

Originally Posted By: Panzerman
This is right on track with the current way society is headed. Most kids have no interaction skills. It's life through a texts and electronic communication. Very few know how to have a relationship. Most people think of this technology as a way to create the perfect mate. I would think the military aspect should be much more interesting and scary. Soldiers who have no remorse or feelings. They can invade and kill every thing without the slightest thought. Every man, woman and child destroyed. Sounds good for your side unless you think of how easy it may be to lose control of such a invention. I am going to guess this breed of military would be bred to be larger, stronger and more aggressive than a regular human. Anyone seen "West World"???

Blade Runner is the best example of a movie warning about the effects of trying to create genetic supermen.

I am sure similar cost benefit analysis of artificial human project would come up with iron clad justification.

What if Russians do it before us? That alone is good enough justification to every red blooded American.

Actually this was the whole premise behind the Resident Evil movies with Umbrella Corp. They were attempting to create a super human weapon. Zombies ended up being a accidental by product.

Originally Posted By: Panzerman
Actually this was the whole premise behind the Resident Evil movies with Umbrella Corp. They were attempting to create a super human weapon. Zombies ended up being a accidental by product.

What could go wrong?

Originally Posted By: Nate1979
What could go wrong?

Most likely birth defects that forces you to terminal the project (i.e. killing the fetus or the human being after birth).

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
LINK

Quote:
In mid-May, more than 100 scientists, entrepreneurs and other experts were summoned to Harvard and asked not to talk to the media or even tweet about the meeting. After all, what they were about to discuss — the creation of a synthetic human genome — would be highly contentious.

Instead of reading the human genome, this effort would be about writing it, which would, in theory, allow those in charge of this technology to create synthetic human beings.

Can we get a sub-forum just for Merkava 4 questions?

'Merkava's musings'

Or half mis-truths or something kitchy

I didn't ask a question in this thread. It was a public information announcement.
grin2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back