Kia brake switch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Started up my kia today and the abs, traction, hill assist, are all on the dash. Turned off and on, same thing. Start googling and its very common across all kias. It apparently disables brake lights and can possibly not allow you to put in park or shift out of park.
Also can not allow cruise control to turn off

So start going through my finance paperwork, I bought an extended GOLD warranty up to 100k. On my paperwork gold covers all electrical including "brake light switch", with a $100 deductible

So going to call local kia tomorrow and set something up. I have AAA premier so can have it towed. Also plan on having the gear shifter recall fixed, ive been putting it off a few months.

Hopefully they dont give me any hassle. Ive never been to fond of the service writer here.

Any bitog ppl have experience with kia and warranty claims?

I did see on kia forums ppl who have these replaced, have to keep having themnr replaced. Hope that's not the case

Rick

Well the part's $8.13 on rockauto.

Sure you don't want to handle this yourself?

Seems like you can get a new one for way less than your deductible. Plenty of YouTube videos on how to change it. The $ you save doing it yourself, you can get a spare and keep it in the glovebox.

Originally Posted By: eljefino

I have a bad back, amd as of recent, even 5 minutes down there will kill me. A year ago, [censored] even a month ago, I would do it myself

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
did you purchase this vehicle new?

I did not, purchased around 40k from kia dealer

Yeah, that's a pretty poor design that it won't let you even drive to an auto parts store to get a relatively cheap and easy to install part like that. That, and if you know how to use a voltmeter, you can bench test the switch as well.

Originally Posted By: rickmeseke

That's crazy!

My Sonata was recalled for the brake switch. The dealer fixed for free, then it broke again. I replaced myself for $12 the second time.

I recommend making sure your vehicle isn't under a recall for the brake switch. You might get a freebie. If not, buy the part and have an independent shop replace it. Any Kia dealer should have it. It's literally a 5 minute job.

Last edited:
If they keep failing try one from SMP/BWD/Intermotor all the same part. Many times the aftermarket will reinforce a iffy part long before the manufacturers stock of junk parts is depleted eg some GM intake gaskets and 4th gear input shafts.

Got a friend or neighbor that would help you out?

You are going to need some help one way or another as it seems you can't drive the car.

Originally Posted By: rickmeseke

I have a bad back, amd as of recent, even 5 minutes down there will kill me. A year ago, [censored] even a month ago, I would do it myself

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back