Hard Drive Temperature

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZeeOSix

$100 site donor 2022
I use DiskCheckup to monitor my HD, and usually monitor the temperature. I have an alarm set to warn me when the HD temperature hits 105 deg F.

What's the max temperature you should allow the HD to operate at?

105 is a good point to aim for. They can certainly survive periods of temperatures up to 120ish, but it is cutting into the drive's lifespan at that temp.

My primary HDD is 113F at the moment and the second drive is 105F. They've been that way for years during the spring summer months when the AC is off in the house.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Normal temps are between 77F-113F.

That right there is correct!

HDs in USB cases, external back ups can run way hotter. About 50% of the used drives I can repair when I pull the circuit board off. There's tiny spring loaded contacts, etc, that contact the board from the HD housing for motor power and read/write heads. The pads on the board can oxidize a bit and go 'open' stopping the drive. Carefully 'scotchbriting' these tiny pads, blowing off the debris and spot cleaning with alcohol can bring back a drive.

My WD Internal HDD sits at 87F
PNY SSD sits at 96F. Not a hard drive but I thought I would add that in since it runs considerably hot.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back