Oil for a car with an absolutely unknown history

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quick question. Viewed a car recently. Car is not selling so I'm not sure what's wrong with it. Am tempted to jump, and take it off the owners hands for a song. The price is so low I am suspecting it has some issue, I will go back with tools and instruments to do some baseline tests. It's a small and compact Japanese 4-cyl. Maybe when it comes to existence I will post what it is.
21.gif

Anyways.. the oil cap itself has a crack on the part that screws in to the valve cover. Triangle shaped chunk. Weird, but there is still thread and the cap threads in just fine. No signs of mixed fluid, but possible oil leak from somewhere as it looked to be all over alternator and etc And I may have seen some sludge sign on the cap too, if sludge can form on the inside of an oil cap. Again,
21.gif
The oil level looks full, and the oil looks black. There is also a tick sound when the engine runs.

On a car like this, what would be a good choice for the first oil change? Or, to add anything for a short interval until said oil change?

The best oil change for that thing by the sounds of it is the one that some other potential buyer will do for it. I'd move on sir

Originally Posted By: NavyVet88
The best oil change for that thing by the sounds of it is the one that some other potential buyer will do for it. I'd move on sir

I agree. Unless you can pick it up for a song, know exactly what's wrong with it and cover your costs for the repairs with some margin for error, I'd pass. I'd rather pay a few $$ more for something well maintained.

It's really hard to say. A Mazda B2000 engine had so many ticks when it was new it sounded like a typewriter but it still ran for 300,000 miles. Some cars have very loud fuel injectors. The best bet if your willing to roll the dice is have someone familiar with model look it over.

PS Mayo on the cap is usually condensation From idle, short trips, bad pcv, sitting etc.

Last edited:
You said, "It's a small and compact Japanese 4-cyl. Maybe when it comes to existence I will post what it is. "

Why bother with such roundabout gobbledygook talk. WTH kinda car is it already? What's a song?

Where are you coming from re this car.

Can you get it for free and flip it? Would it be for you? Does it look like it'd sell for $X if it ran?

Can you even drive it back and forth 10' in the seller's driveway? The description of the dirty engine sounded pretty standard. I really think sweating the oil type is WAY SECONDARY on your timeline. Kira

Originally Posted By: Kira
You said, "It's a small and compact Japanese 4-cyl. Maybe when it comes to existence I will post what it is. "

Why bother with such roundabout gobbledygook talk.

He thinks he's going to hide his identity by not revealing make/model.
smile.gif

Quote:
I really think sweating the oil type is WAY SECONDARY on your timeline.

Of course, but that's not how the OP operates.

Originally Posted By: Prune_Juice
but possible oil leak from somewhere as it looked to be all over alternator and etc

That right there would make me RUN,not walk away from it. Unless they would give it to you completely free,I wouldn't spend a penny on it.

Originally Posted By: Kira

Why bother with such roundabout gobbledygook talk. WTH kinda car is it already? What's a song?

Where are you coming from re this car.

Can you get it for free and flip it? Would it be for you? Does it look like it'd sell for $X if it ran?

Can you even drive it back and forth 10' in the seller's driveway? The description of the dirty engine sounded pretty standard. I really think sweating the oil type is WAY SECONDARY on your timeline. Kira

Uggggh. FINE. Maybe I was waiting for someone to ask.

1995 Toyota Corolla. Auto.

Guy told me he was asking $350 but if I come with $190 it's mine.

Looks like it's going to be an alternator issue. Almost exactly like a 91 Sentara I had once.

It's actually not bad on the outside. At all. It's not perfect. But it's pretty good.

It's been talking to me.

I'm seriously thinking of getting it and putting in a $50 alternator and HEY! CAR. For the immediate future... I've heard Corolla are actually really good.

So.. a song is $190 to call it $240 if I can revive a battery with a CTEK and do the work myself.
eek.gif

Ok???

Now. Who would like to SEE the car.

Quote:
Does it look like it would sell for

Oh, it sure does. And if I can get these license plates out of the picture, I'll post up why it's so appealing.

I do have.. other things.. to do.. both in the near and far future.. as far as other things including vehicles.. but, for now? .

Opened 'er up already. Seller is some 18-21 year old kid. BTDT.

6dLx8xu.jpg

djRCEi0.jpg

YxdZ0uF.jpg

Ok.

Have you heard it run?

It seems it's sitting with a dead battery. You're presumably carless because you've hopped on to another state and another lifestyle reboot. And all this time you've kept a C-Tek battery charger in your hobo bindle because you'll need it again.

So, have you heard it run?

If you get this this will be the most sensible car in your fleet. Put 3.2 quarts of 10w30 oil in it every 4k and otherwise leave it alone.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Have you heard it run?

It seems it's sitting with a dead battery. You're presumably carless because you've hopped on to another state and another lifestyle reboot. And all this time you've kept a C-Tek battery charger in your hobo bindle because you'll need it again.

So, have you heard it run?

If you get this this will be the most sensible car in your fleet. Put 3.2 quarts of 10w30 oil in it every 4k and otherwise leave it alone.

Yeah, I heard it run. Sounds like lifter tick. But the guy keeps wanting to turn it off.

I'm reading up on how batteries act when they charge and what it means when the stuff comes from under the caps when they charge and using the charger I have, I'm in my electrical box.

6Hf1A9h.jpg

Walmart has batteries for $48. Once you put that in, take it to an auto parts store (or 2) and have the alternator tested. I wouldn't just throw parts at it.

I'd idle the engine til hot then add 1 cup of Kerosene to the oil and idle for 20 minutes. (Idle only, don't drive) That's an engine oil Flush for just fifty cents before I'd put a new filter and oil in it. Let the old oil drain out for 15 minutes, so it all comes out. New oil will stay cleaner longer...

Stuff comes out of the vents when they overcharge.

Here's the redneck test: point your car at a garage door or something with the headlights on. Turn off the engine. If the lights get slightly dimmer your alternator is working normally.

Regardless, the cure is more'n likely a battery and alternator at the same time. One will take the other out.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
...And he's BACK! Who has the scorecard?

His thread, as user GHT (gee, that seems familiar....) over on the Toyota board:

GHT's Toyota Corolla thread

Guess we can drop the act that "Prune_Juice" isn't yet another incarnation eh Joseph?
smirk.gif

I don't know who you are talking about, but you're wrong.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Stuff comes out of the vents when they overcharge.

Here's the redneck test: point your car at a garage door or something with the headlights on. Turn off the engine. If the lights get slightly dimmer your alternator is working normally.

Regardless, the cure is more'n likely a battery and alternator at the same time. One will take the other out.

I have a voltmeter, man.

Quote:
Stuff comes out

Let me go check on it. 14.1V at charge, I thought it was cooking.

Originally Posted By: Prune_Juice
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
...And he's BACK! Who has the scorecard?

His thread, as user GHT (gee, that seems familiar....) over on the Toyota board:

GHT's Toyota Corolla thread

Guess we can drop the act that "Prune_Juice" isn't yet another incarnation eh Joseph?
smirk.gif

I don't know who you are talking about, but you're wrong.

LMAO!!! Come on dude, cut the act. You registered as GHT with the following statement in the thread I just linked:

Originally Posted By: GHT
Hello Toyota Nation! Proud newest member of the Nation here I call myself GHT here. It is an homage to a particularly rowdy persona I used to have. Growing up sucks, doesn't it?

And then posted the exact same pictures in this thread, as "GHT" posted there.

And the hilarious part here is that you started THIS thread making it sound like you were considering the car, whilst the reality of the situation was that you had already bought it, as per the other thread. Typical GHT behaviour I might add.

Anyways, enjoy your latest incarnation, anybody familiar with your antics already knows where this is headed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back