2016 Honda Civic coupe with 1.5 turbo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Curious as to what type of motor oil that best fits this motor so I checked the owners manual and it says to use Honda 0-20w or a premium brand of the same weight. It also says I can use a full synthetic 0-20w if I like. Wow. Doesn't seem to be overly picky. Big change from my VW tdi. Being a turbo I guess I expected something more specific.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dbias
Curious as to what type of motor oil that best fits this motor so I checked the owners manual and it says to use Honda 0-20w or a premium brand of the same weight. It also says I can use a full synthetic 0-20w if I like. Wow. Doesn't seem to be overly picky. Big change from my VW tdi. Being a turbo I guess I expected something more specific.

I would still run heavier oil. They need to meet CAFE requirements so they are thinning down oils.
I would run 0W30.

I would not change factory fill till at least 7k miles. And pick up Castrol Edge (Black) 0W20 then.

The cheapest 0w20 on sale for the MM suggested OCI
smile.gif

PP has that $2 per quart rebate, and some places have it on sale, making it the best 0w20 bargain this month.

The dealer gives a lifetime power train warranty and all it says I have to do is follow the recommended preventive maintenance schedule. The first three oil changes are free from the dealer and he said to just need to keep the receipt for anything I do myself.
HTO-06 seems to be the honda oil requirement for turbo Acuras but no mention of anything in the owners manual.

Have already bought a quart of M1 incase I need make up oil btwn oil changes. I ran my previous accord on 0-20w @a 10k oci and it ran like a top with an excellent blackstone report at 60k just to see how things were going.

Last edited:
Does a Wal-Mart 0W20 that's not synthetic exist? If your going to stick to one oil I would go with Quaker State Ultimate Durability as it will average the lowest price. If not just go with whatever is on sale / rebate.

Honda wants you to keep the factory fill in for an extended period so you still have the liquid assembly lube / breakin oil in it.

I would just follow the OLM for OCI.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
The cheapest 0w20 on sale for the MM suggested OCI
smile.gif

PP has that $2 per quart rebate, and some places have it on sale, making it the best 0w20 bargain this month.

What He said. or TGMO, Honda, Mobil 1, PP, Castrol black or Gold, Synpower, Napa Synthetic Amsoil or any 0w20 of your choice if these don't work for you.

Originally Posted By: edyvw
Originally Posted By: dbias

I would still run heavier oil. They need to meet CAFE requirements so they are thinning down oils.
I would run 0W30.

Yeah. Those CAFE [censored] want to ruin your engine since 1999 like all the millions of cars they have so far!

Originally Posted By: AirgunSavant
How do you like the car?

I love it. Got it primarily for my daughter to drive but she has to get me out of it first. It has to be underrated on hp and torque. It is the EX-T model and has a ton of technology stuff in it. The apple car play and Android auto is nice.

Most Japanese engines are very easy on oil, most Japanese car manufactures don't have specific specs oil for their engines like German(and American lately). They think that their engines are good enough for generic API oil, whatever the grade they are recommending, which is mostly xW20 now and very few needs xW30.

To keep lifetime power train warranty with your dealer you need to use 0W20. Also, Honda did their study and test their engines very well, no reason to believe they didn't know their engines as well as internet posters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back