Is GM6094m that important?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought some Mobile 1 High Mileage oil and just happened to notice that the specs it meets is pretty slim compared to regular Mobil 1. Owners manual states it requires GM6094m, 2007 Chevy Impala 3.5L Flex Fuel. Is this standard a big deal or is the Mobil 1 High Mileage okay anyway?

It will be OK.That GM 6094m spec is the old GM oil spec before Dexos 1. Is it the 5W30 grade? If not, that is why you may not see it.

Mobile 1 HM 5w30, meets API SL, which is pretty old standard. I assume it fails to meet the standards due to the HM additives?

I have been using Valvoline Maxlife HM Syn Blend for the last bunch of years and the leaking/consumption of 1 qt per 3000 miles has slowed significantly to maybe a 1/4 qt. I don't even top off anymore between changes. So, the HM stuff works. I just grabbed the Mobil 1 HM because it was cheaper. MaxLife Syn blend used to be $17, now it's $27. Mobil 1 HM was only $22. It just doesn't meet the specs.

Last edited:
Like 360kid its API SL which is an old spec. Mobil 1 probably doesn't want to reduce the ZDDP levels it would have to to meet the current specs. Tech
Originally Posted By: 360kid
I bought some Mobile 1 High Mileage oil and just happened to notice that the specs it meets is pretty slim compared to regular Mobil 1. Owners manual states it requires GM6094m, 2007 Chevy Impala 3.5L Flex Fuel. Is this standard a big deal or is the Mobil 1 High Mileage okay anyway?

Like 360kid its API SL which is an old spec and therefore it won't pass the latest manufacturers specs. either. However, the M1HM 10w40 does meet API SN because that viscosity grade is not required to have reduced ZDDP levels. Mobil 1 probably doesn't want to reduce the ZDDP levels it would have to to meet the current specs. The reduced ZDDP levels were done to protect the emissions system, particularly the catalytic convertor. Technically speaking, you shouldn't use that oil in your car, because your car should be using API SM or newer oils. But as you will see, other people will think it ok and you probably are as long your are not burning oil through the exhaust system.

Anyone have any experience with Penzoil Platinum High Mileage Oil? I assume it's just their regular Platinum oil with seal conditioners in it. Must be kind of new as I can't find much on it.

Originally Posted By: 2KBMW
It will be OK.That GM 6094m spec is the old GM oil spec before Dexos 1. Is it the 5W30 grade? If not, that is why you may not see it.

This is right

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back