Hot water bottle safety...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes and no. 200 hospital admissions per annum also get "paid for by all of us". I doubt the cost of a pamphlet is that dear....unless it's dishonestly billed.

My folks had a stoneware one.

I imagine they lasted pretty well, so safer from a containment failure perspective.

Bloody sore if you dropped it on your foot though.

I spent a winter term at Aberdeen University (where it gets quite chilly) sleeping in my car.

I confess that at times I wimped out and used a 2L coke bottle as a hwb. You have to fill them with non-boiling water else they melt, but the volume means they still have a lot of heat content.

If I was planning to use the car next day I'd leave the bottle under the iced-up windscreen to gently thaw it out while I went for breakfast and a shower. Quite effective.

IIRC I also used a stainless steel thermos (the heat leaks out).

I never used an ACTUAL hwb though. That would have shown weakness.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
That time of year downunder where hot water bottles in the bed are timely, as is replacing them because they don't last too well in the off season.

Bought a new one today for Son, and they all come with a pamphlett, courtesy of the Govt, and paid for by all of us...

https://www.accc.gov.au/system/files/Hot water bottles safety alert.pdf

No wonder they are scared of all sorts of inanimate objects.

Another gov't attempt to prevent Darwinism. Or lawyers are involved. Both.

Didn't know people still used those. When my toes get cold I just throw on another blanket--if need be, only over my toes.

What I find best is to go to bed with warm toes. I generally shower in the evening anyhow, that works well for getting warm toes. Put on shoes and socks afterwards.

I don't think sleeping with socks on helps--insulates the toes from the heat inside the bed.

Now we just need people to recaption this picture.. bitog friendly of course.

waterbottle.JPG

Originally Posted By: Kuato
The way I see it, lawyers don't get involved until after someone does something stupid, then remembers that everything is someone else's fault and contacts a lawyer, who then sues everyone and everything in sight, thereby ruining it for everyone else.

There is exactly ZERO personal responsibility in America, and now apparently in Oz, too...shame.

Quote:
The way I see it, lawyers don't get involved until after someone does something stupid, then remembers that everything is someone else's fault and contacts a lawyer, who then sues everyone and everything in sight, thereby ruining it for everyone else.

There is exactly ZERO personal responsibility in America, and now apparently in Oz, too...shame.

thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: RF Overlord

And soon, no personal freedom either...a bigger shame.

Exactly.

Goes hand in hand with a complete lack of self discipline as well. As a matter of fact if you are have such GOOD qualities you are often penalized and attacked for it.

Originally Posted By: Kuato

Yep; common sense and integrity are also on the way out....

There is hottie filling protocol at our house - I got told off last night for not refilling the kettle after I filled my hottie...I thought I was the last one. Take it out of bed before I get in? No way! Hottie on one side, cat on the other, I'm all set for the night.

Speak for yourself and about yourself. There are plenty of folks around that take full and personal responsibility for themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back