2012 Acura TL air condtioner issue solved!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

My 2012 TL developed a intermittent air conditioning problem. Would work perfectly then stop working. Could work fine for the next several days then the problem would arise. Not so great with our recent 90 degree days.

Brought it to the dealer which was next to useless. Spent the time describing the problem to the service writer who distilled the entire description to "customer state blows warm air"

With this description, the mechanic tested the electrics and drove it. Found no problem, of course. Picked up the car and asked to speak to the mechanic. Nice guy. Explained the situation in detail and he tentatively diagnosed as a failing, intermittent compressor clutch relay. I bought the part. Parts guy says they stock up on them this time of year. Mechanic installed in 3 minutes in the lot. Problem seemingly solved!

Part number is Honda 39794-SDA-A05.

Hope this can help a few people.

Glad you got it fixed, but you gotta love the service writer. If he/she'd written customer says air only blows cold 'intermittently', tech likely would have gotten it the first time.

Good move talking to mech/tech.

Originally Posted By: Sayjac
Glad you got it fixed, but you gotta love the service writer. If he/she'd written customer says air only blows cold 'intermittently', tech likely would have gotten it the first time.

Good move talking to mech/tech.

Yes, we all pay such outrageous prices to the "professionals" at the $tealer so they they can't even take the time to properly comprehend what the customer is trying to tell them, and no doubt the OP clearly had a good grasp of the symptoms, yet the lazy incompetent SW couldn't take few more minutes to write down the proper information for the mechanic.

Did an autopsy of the relay.

I don't know if this relay is the old style or new style. I didn't even know there were two versions. LOL. Examination of the contacts revealed significant pitting and corrosion. I could see why it was intermittent.

I am a Do it myself on most things, but, if I can't talk to a mechanic or watch them work, even from 20 foot away, then I don't go there. Ed

MajCav.....my 06 has done stuff like that every once in a while. So I looked up that part number and it will fit my 06 Accord. After looking it up from Honda, there are 3 different relay's that use that same part. Did you have to get 3 of them? Or just one? This is good to know and appreciate the information!!!!

Originally Posted By: Schmoe
MajCav.....my 06 has done stuff like that every once in a while. So I looked up that part number and it will fit my 06 Accord. After looking it up from Honda, there are 3 different relay's that use that same part. Did you have to get 3 of them? Or just one? This is good to know and appreciate the information!!!!

Just one relay.

I saw a youtube video of the same problem with the A/C relay on a Honda .

Mechanic removed the plastic cover on the relay & the contacts were burned .

God bless
Wyr

STANDARD MOTOR PRODUCTS RY737 available for $6 and change from AA or $4.50 from rock auto, it will replace the 39794-sda-a05, a01, a02,a03 a04. The a05 is made by Mistui in Japan the 003 is made in USA by Omron, they are interchangeable.
The SMP/ Intermotor part seems more reliable. Every Honda should have a spare in the glove box.

Originally Posted By: cptbarkey
Yes, Honda is legendary for their trash AC systems.

Not sure I would consider a relay part of the AC system.

As you point out it isn't. Its an electrical part that when it fails effects the A/C system. Honda A/C systems are usually pretty reliable other than that inexpensive relay.
GM Suburbans and Yukons suffer the same relay complaint (same manufacturer of the relay).

Originally Posted By: Trav
As you point out it isn't. Its an electrical part that when it fails effects the A/C system. Honda A/C systems are usually pretty reliable other than that inexpensive relay.
GM Suburbans and Yukons suffer the same relay complaint (same manufacturer of the relay).

Trav,

Thanks for the information. Ordered the SMP RELAY from Amazon for 8.00 and change shipped to the house. Not to hijack my own thread, but what other systems utilize this relay?

Steve

Last edited:
I didn't word that question well.

Are there more of these relays in an Acura and what systems do they control?

The blower motor relay, R/Defroster relay. Cooling and A/C fans are all one of the common part\# replaced by the intermotor unit. These are not usually a problem as their use is more intermittent or less current draw.

I keep a couple in my tool box, any A/C problems with a Honda and a few other vehicles that's the first thing to look at. These vehicles should have used a much heavier built relay.
With manual A/C its no problem but as soon as you throw climate control in the mix where its constantly turning on and off the weakness of its light construction shows up frequently.

Originally Posted By: Trav

STANDARD MOTOR PRODUCTS RY737 available for $6 and change from AA or $4.50 from rock auto, it will replace the 39794-sda-a05, a01, a02,a03 a04. The a05 is made by Mistui in Japan the 003 is made in USA by Omron, they are interchangeable.
The SMP/ Intermotor part seems more reliable. Every Honda should have a spare in the glove box.

Why am I not surprised that the failed part is a Mitsubishi brand??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back