VFW

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just like to drop both a thanks and some info.

I left the Army in January,
My "official discharge date" was in April.
Honorable, if anyone wonders.

Anyway, after coming back from overseas/OEF, I had a few issues (Respiratory and Epilepsy). We were told to register for the burn out registry on the VAs website. We all did.
As I was getting out of the army, I had my medical records requested,
Not knowing what to do, and being on some serious medications (that would have been needed by the average 8-16 month wait times at the VA), I took my records to the VFW.
Signed a few forms allowing them to search my files. (I have been a VFW member since 2014) and they submitted the paperwork mid March. Well, today, less than 3 months later, I have gotten my % back, and my benefits.

Every time the VA tried playing games? I'd Call the VFW. Next day (sometimes
Same day) I'd get a letter by fedex/call to come in or go to this private doctor..

Needless to say, I am thankful as I have gone a few days now without my medications, and sleep has been not so fun.
Also, any brothers and sisters on here about to get out of the military or have been out and believe they have service connected disabilities , even if you aren't a veteran of a Foreign War, the VFW WILL help you out when it comes to anything VA related.

Thank you for your service and Good luck with your health situation. Thank goodness the VFW went to bat for you.

Thanks for your service to our great nation.
34.gif

My brother (ex Navy) works for the VA and its a disgrace and embarrassed at the stories hes told me what he has seen at his VA hospital.

Terrorists at Guantanamo Bay get much better healthcare and respect than American veterans at a VA hospital. Sad but true
smirk.gif

Originally Posted By: gman2304
Thank you for your service and Good luck with your health situation. Thank goodness the VFW went to bat for you.

As much slack as the VFW gets with GWOT Veterans, I have never had an issue at any post I've stopped at. I am sure there are VFW posts out there that frown on any GWOT veteran, (some still frown on Vietnam Veterans) yet as I said, have had no issues whatsoever. Same with the American Legion.

DAV also will help with any VA claims, IAVA I believe helps as well.

OP, thanks for your service and sorry to hear you've gotten a runaround.

But I have to ask - how would epilepsy be connected to your service? What related to your time overseas could/would induce it?

I'm asking not to be rude or trying to prod into your life, but rather I have to wonder if something along those lines caused your case to get in the "audit" pile.

I can see respiratory conditions due to exposure to something (what I don't know), but not the other. Could they be using such a basis to give you a hard time? Kind of like the way civilian insurance denies claims and stalls based upon "pre existing conditions"?

Good luck!

Thank you for the heads up although i was never in the military i have respect for those who were and will bend over backwards for any of them. I now look at the V.F.W as more than just a drinking club, no disrespect intended.

I'm a life member and support the VFW and the American legion 100%.

I'm glad to hear that you've gotten some good service from them. That's precisely why they're there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back