2005 Mustang GT, 9300 miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking at a 2005 Mustang GT coupe, 4.6/auto, 100% bone stock. Red, red leather power seats, power everything, AM/FM CD, factory 5 spoke alloy rims. Engine is the 3 valve 300HP version. Excellent beyond belief. The bottom of car is amazing clean. This car has been garage kept it's entire life. It is a one owner with 9300 documented miles!
Now.....How much does one add value wise for the super low use of this car???
Asking $20,000...asking now. Best KBB book price I could find is $15,400, but no allowance for such low miles.
Need some help here please.

$20,000 for one of the ugliest models of Mustang made, and it's 11 years old? They're nuts.

You can buy a 2016 Mustang GT for $30k. 0 miles, full warranty.

Or a 2016 V6 Mustang for around $23k. Might even be faster than the 05' V8.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
$20,000 for one of the ugliest models of Mustang made, and it's 11 years old? They're nuts.

+1

It might actually be worth more if it were a 2004.

The problem with something like this is as soon as you put some miles on it, all you have is another used Mustang so you'll take a bath on depreciation unless this is going to be a garage queen.

according to NADA, the clean retail for that car is 13k with that many miles. You can enter mileage as a factor in the NADA guide online.

Lots of money for a 2005 . Cars are worth what the insurance companies will pay you when it is totaled. High blue book may be worth the price but no more. Do a low ball bid and may be he will say I'll take no less than XXXX so then you know where you stand.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994

The fact that it's an automatic is a major, major strike.

I can't see paying that much for such a used old car. Yeah, it's somebody's baby - got it. But that doesn't mean it gets a massive premium at its current age and condition.

If you really like it,offer them book value for it. If they act like aholes about it,walk away.

Originally Posted By: Ethan1
The early Fox bodies were ugly as sin IMO
I actually haven't liked any of the Mustang body styles except for the very first style, and the 2010-2014, and also the 2015-present is growing on me.

All the others...
37.gif

Originally Posted By: dishdude

The problem with something like this is as soon as you put some miles on it, all you have is another used Mustang so you'll take a bath on depreciation unless this is going to be a garage queen.

this is exactly the what my brother discovered with his 98.
he got tired of the manual in rush hour traffic, so it got parked in his garage and stayed there for the next 15 or so years.

it's a 1998 Mustang GT. he bought it new, it currently has between 14.5-15k miles.

if he tried to sell it today, the only thing that Might get him over book, is it's a bone stock, garage kept, rust free TX car. (he Just moved back here to OH from TX, had it shipped up)

Last edited:
NADA and KBB under-estimate the value of nice, original 1-2 owner cars with 55K miles or less. And the lower the miles the further they are off. The NADA mileage premium for that car vs. one with 140,000 miles is only around $3500....way too low. That's just stupid. Who wouldn't pay an extra $3500 to get 130,000 less miles? That's 2.7c per mile. The IRS gives you something like 55c per mile for business use. That mileage premium might be $2K-$3K low fwiw.

I discuss ultra-low mileage 1998-2002 GM F-bodies all the time (ie Trans Ams, WS6's, Z28's, SS's, etc.). Those cars are in the 305-345 hp range. A 2002 WS6 automatic with 9300 miles is probably around a $15K-$17K car. A 2002 Camaro SS similarly specced would be $14,500-$15,500. So I don't see why a 2005 Mustang wouldn't be in similar company to the SS/Z28 models. $20K is high though. Heck, for $20K you can buy a 30K mile 2001-2002 400 hp Z06 Vette. In my mind this Mustang is worth the $13K NADA "retail" plus another $2K-$3K....or $15K-$16K....and good luck trying to find one at that price from a dealer.

If this car is from Gateway Classics or some other performance car dealer, I wouldn't expect anything but paying through the nose. These guys only need to find that 1 buyer who just has to have what they got. Frankly, you can get a much better deal through a private party. Don't kid yourself, these cars are out there with ultra-low miles because collectors have saved them and driven their toy very sparingly. If I wanted to blow $19,995 on a 10-15 yr old performance car with 10K miles I'd look at the collectible 1998-2002 F body anniversary cars or those in special low production/high demand colors like SOM or Hugger Orange. Those cars have stopped depreciating if you drive them sparingly. I'm not sure how the 2005 Mustang GT's have fared.

"Book" is bogus on these cars with very low miles. It's a great deal for the dealers who get to buy them on trade-in for peanuts. And automatics aren't a big negative. There are plenty of enthusiasts who prefer the automatics and won't even touch a 5 or 6 speed manual. My own preference is to automatics, though I've owned an equal number of both A4's and M6's.

How does one accurately reflect the real world/real market premium for ultra low miles? Well, for this car you start with the base price of $9600 retail for one with 140,000 miles. Then you factor in a realistic premium for every 10,000 miles under that. For cars in the $10K-$20K range that are 10-20 years old I typically use somewhere from $500-$1,000/each 10K miles lower. That premium is dependent on the demand for the car. The Camaro's seem to run in the $500-$700 range while the extinct Pontiacs tend to be higher at $700-$900/10K miles. I would think the Mustangs would fall within those ranges. The $270/10K miles per NADA is a joke. Probably understates mileage premium by 100%.

Will this car depreciate if you drive it a lot? Sure. It could go from $16K down to $10K with another 50,000 miles on it. But your brand new 2016 Mustang will depreciate a ton as it goes to 50,000 miles. Probably twice the depreciation of the older car....along with twice the insurance, etc.

Fwiw, if this a toy (ie 2nd car) you can add it via a collector's insurance policy for approx $100-$150 per year. That's nothing...though your mileage limit per year would typically be 3K-5K. And you can get agreed upon value in the event you total the car (ie the full $16,000 with 9300 miles).

...it's a 1998 Mustang GT. he bought it new, it currently has between 14.5-15k miles.

if he tried to sell it today, the only thing that Might get him over book, is it's a bone stock, garage kept, rust free TX car. (he Just moved back here to OH from TX, had it shipped up)

Rest assured, a 1 owner, bone stock, well cared for car like that will get well over the bogus book value. My '99 SS with 17K miles "books" for around $8600. I can find a buyer tomorrow at $11K. You will have great difficulty finding one under $12,000....despite the so-called book value. I don't care what '98-05 300+ hp car you are looking at with 10K or less miles. But, you won't find them for $9600 "book" unless you find a clueless seller going by said book.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back