Lubegard Transfixx (Dr. Trannie)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys, sorry if this has been discussed here ad infinitum but i just came across this product, after my tranny got some water in it from a bad [censored] flood in houston tx

lubegard-19689-400.jpg

4L60E, 160,00 miles

I went into the tranny, dropped the pan, replaced A&B shift solenoids, put a new ATF pan w/ drain bolt, and new gasket/filter.

No telling if the 50k mile service to the tranny had been done. I bought it at 60 or 70k and the ATF fluid was still somewhat black cherry red....never got much darker over the nearly 100k miles that i've owned it.

That being said, after dropping about 6qts out of the tranny, filling up another 6 qts then driving around for about 50 miles i drained it again...i did this about 3 times i believe...fluid is now bright red, just like it should be...

but then the tranny started doing a mild repetitive vibration anywhere from 45-60mph it was the TCC lock up "modulating" or something...

I put in 1 tube of this stuff and it calmed the vibrations down considerably...Not entirely satisfied I bought another tube after calling Lubegard and finding out that the 2 oz tube is good up to 8qts of ATF (my 4L60E has 12 qts)

That fixed the vibration up entirely...for one night...next morning it was back after the ATF warmed up...several days later into the next weekend, i said screw it and bought a 3rd 2oz tube...im now 6oz in.

It seems to have cleared up the "TCC Shudder" i was experiencing entirely...and has not came back in about 2-3 weeks.

That said, whats in this stuff?

I read the MSDS and it shows phosphorus, some other stuff...

I wonder why they only sell it in 2 oz packages... it would've been nice to buy a cup...or even a pint... hopefully at a reduced price...

Glad i didnt have to go with some lucasoil junk...i think lucas sells snake oil...but their transmission stop slip product looked thick enough to possibly prevent the TCC PWM bore leakdown i was suffering from causing the vibraion as the TCC lock-up (solenoid or clutch, never really knew for sure) modulated (slipped) while locked...

Just wondering if anyone knows for sure whats in this stuff, and maybe...just maybe...if theres a DIY solution that can be made should i ever need to drain and refill this tranny again...i was not happy paying $20.00+ for 6 oz of phosphorus if i could just crush up some oyster shells or similar and get the same result

The transmission is finished if it got water in it. The clutch plate material and adhesive disintegrates, ts only a matter of time before it quits.

Thanks for your opinion. i've heard that repeated ad infinitum as well...

At the moment, the transmission is running better than it ever has, shifting much more positively, i was going to live with the TCC Shudder since the benefits actually outweighed the small negatives( knowing that the shudder happens on many other 4l60e's without any types of damage just wear) but as an added relief this product resolved it.

That being said, only around 0.5-1.0qts of water entered the tranny thru the vent tube. A mechanic from a local garage came by and said..."i thought you had water in your tranny..." (heh)

But as it goes, and with all the research i had been doing i had to ask myself...

if at ~260* F the atf supposedly burns and is able to quickly disintgegrate rubber seals... any adhesives that may be on clutch plates/frictions/etc. would surely be dissolved by the ATF fluid at much lower temperatures...we're talkin solid rubber seals here not fancy glues.

Anyways, still curious what the product is made of here's an MSDS of the composition...any thoughts?

2m51d1g.jpg

edit: Perhaps its the zinc salts? After taking a second look that Phosphoric chemical is an acid, dunno if that would be the source of the true beneficial nature of this product.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Trav
The transmission is finished if it got water in it. The clutch plate material and adhesive disintegrates, ts only a matter of time before it quits.

Trav is correct.

Water is a disastrous contaminant and while you may see a temporary, perceived improvement in one or more areas, your transmission is in need of a rebuild.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: TexasTea

...if at ~260* F the atf supposedly burns and is able to quickly disintgegrate rubber seals... any adhesives that may be on clutch plates/frictions/etc. would surely be dissolved by the ATF fluid at much lower temperatures...we're talkin solid rubber seals here not fancy glues.

1) I am not sure where you derived your incorrect information, but the binders that hold the composite clutch friction materials are not affected by the fluids chemical composition, which is why ATF has such a complex chemistry.

2) ATF doesn't "burn." ATF degradation is accelerated by extreme heat and oxidation.

3) Seals are made of elastomers or synthetic rubbers and are designed to resist a certain amount of heat and are designed to be compatible with the ATF.

Anyways, still curious what the product is made of here's an MSDS of the composition...any thoughts?

edit: Perhaps its the zinc salts? After taking a second look that Phosphoric chemical is an acid, dunno if that would be the source of the true beneficial nature of this product.

Your immediate problem is not the composition of this product but to schedule a rebuild.

Last edited:

2m51d1g.jpg

...edit: Perhaps its the zinc salts? After taking a second look that Phosphoric chemical is an acid, dunno if that would be the source of the true beneficial nature of this product.

SDS' or MSDS', as have been stated many times before, do not give a formula for the fluid but rather give Health and Safety information about the potential hazards if the chemicals, in concentrated form, that might come in contact with living cells.

FWIW, Item 1 is an oil carrier, Item 2 is an AW agent and friction modifer, Item 3 is ZDDP (in this case used as an anti-oxidant), Item 4 is a solvent, used as a cleaner.

It also contains their proprietary ester.

No aftermarket additive will 'fix" a tranny that has been contaminated.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back