Ceramic cookware sets

Status
Not open for further replies.
What are good ceramic cookware sets? The reviews on Calphalon are all over the place.

This would be a wedding gift. Looking at the $150 range.

Thanks

WearEver (ha, I just got wearever ceramic brake pads! different brand of course), GreenLife, GreenPan, all very nice brands.

Don't waste the money for Ceramic-stay with a good non stick.

Pretty much ANY ceramic (you'll see a theme in almost all reviews) will wear down quicker after heavy use....

Unless they are uber picky to shop for, get a set of Tramontina non-stick. It is excellent. And cheap at Walmart (Williams Sonoma also sells it, so that says a lot). I have Cuisinart Stainless set, a fair bit of Calphalon hard-anodrizerd, and I have stainless-lined French Copper. And I know how to cook with it all, and cook at least one full meal daily for the family, sometimes more. But my daily go-to pan is the Tramontina.

If they are pickier, get the Tramontina stainless. It is almost - and by a whisker - as good as the Cuisinart and 1/2 or less the price.

Originally Posted By: daves87rs
Don't waste the money for Ceramic-stay with a good non stick.

Pretty much ANY ceramic (you'll see a theme in almost all reviews) will wear down quicker after heavy use....

Teflon non stick causes cancer.

Originally Posted By: horse123

Add that to the list of lies you read daily on the internet.

It does not and is safe to use.

Originally Posted By: Oro_O

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polytetrafluoroethylene#Safety

Fluorine is one of the nastiest substances in the known universe... You generally don't want any molecules that contain a fluorine inside your body with the exception of fluoride toothpaste.

If you want to fill your body with man-made highly toxic chemicals, go right ahead.

^ All that and I'm not even a "natural whole foods gluten free GMO" hippie. I'm just intelligent. How bout that!

Interesting. You claim to be a "non clinical physician" in your profile, but you've never heard of Teflon flu (Polymer fume fever)?

And you've never heard that, when heated at just over 500 degrees, Teflon releases a whole chemistry set of compounds as it begins to break down? Hint: most decent ovens, grills and burners can take a pan to well over 500 degrees.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit

Interesting. You claim to be a "non clinical physician" in your profile, but you've never heard of Teflon flu (Polymer fume fever)?

And you've never heard that, when heated at just over 500 degrees, Teflon releases a whole chemistry set of compounds as it begins to break down? Hint: most decent ovens, grills and burners can take a pan to well over 500 degrees.

Of course I've heard of it - don't make things up in order to advance your case. It damages your credibility,

It's not cancer-causing.

There are by-products of teflon from manufacturing that are carcinogens. They are not present in the finished product. A little reading can go a long way on understanding this.

Last edited:
Nonsense. Here we go again with someone making conclusions based on incorrect assumptions and knowledge.

Yes, fluorine is nasty but you aren't ingesting elemental fluorine any more than you are ingesting elemental chlorine (nearly as nasty) when you are eating salt. Nor are you in any danger of exploding when you drink water which has hydrogen atoms.

The very thing that makes fluorine so reactive is what makes polytetrafluoroethylene so inert - it is very tightly bonded to the carbon atoms in the molecule. As a result polytetrafluoroethylene is one of the least bioavailable compounds in existence.

There is no pathway for the metabolism of polytetrafluoroethylene. It cannot be toxic. Yes, if you decompose it at high temperatures there is an issue but this is not the case in your comments.

Fluorine is one of the nastiest substances in the known universe... You generally don't want any molecules that contain a fluorine inside your body with the exception of fluoride toothpaste.

If you want to fill your body with man-made highly toxic chemicals, go right ahead.

^ All that and I'm not even a "natural whole foods gluten free GMO" hippie. I'm just intelligent. How bout that!

PTFE does not decompose at that temperature. It is well above 600 degrees F.

Originally Posted By: kschachn

PTFE does not decompose at that temperature. It is well above 600 degrees F.

Quote:
Pyrolysis of PTFE is detectable at 200 °C (392 °F), and it evolves several fluorocarbon gases and a sublimate. An animal study conducted in 1955 concluded that it is unlikely that these products would be generated in amounts significant to health at temperatures below 250 °C (482 °F).[38]

Keep in mind ONE, ANIMAL study said "it's probably not significant".

You guys aren't even trying to be scientific, you just really don't seem to care whether you're drinking bleach or coke. Doesn't matter to you. Not sure if willful ignorance or what

Last edited:
I have one ceramic pan and have been pleased with it after 1 years usage. It's still slippery as owl s-it, but doesn't have the aftertaste.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back