Muhammad Ali dead at 74

Status
Not open for further replies.
Loved watching him dissing his opponents on TV when I was a child. RIP Champ, you were always the greatest!

Originally Posted By: AZjeff
Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
Loved watching him dissing his opponents on TV when I was a child.
What did you find attractive about that?
It was all part of his "act"; guess you had to be there.

His mouth was more effective than his jab. He had already beaten most of his opponents before they ever stepped into the ring. Sorry you didn't get it. Would you have felt better if he complimented his opponents broad shoulders and long reach?

'His greatest moment was when he lit the flame to begin Olympic Games while the whole world watched.'

^ Joe Frazier famously commented that if he had been there, he would have thrown him into the cauldron. ^

In the 60s and early 70s Ali was arguably the greatest heavy weight ever...excellent hand and foot speed, good power, and could go 15 rounds standing on his head. But when he started the rope-a-dope garbage, that was the beginning of the end...he fought long past his prime and was awarded many decisions later in his career that should've gone to his opponents (I personally thought he lost all 3 Norton fights, but was given the decision in two of them). Any way, he was certainly one of the greatest ever and boxing and it's fans have suffered a huge loss...

Read the obit from the English paper linked at the other thread. It tracks his fighting history in detail.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2016/jun/04/muhammad-ali-obituary

I can honestly say I have no opinion about the guy.

At a ceremonial weigh-in when Ali and an opponent were going at it (insulting each other etc.) energetically and there'd be a comical fellow between them "holding them apart", I knew it was promotional....entirely set up etc.

I also thought it was stupid. I was always told boxing was fixed.
It was educational when I saw that boxing matches were the first things televised to theaters for BIG admission prices.

While there's something completely honest and straight about boxing (2 people on a canvas mat) the business end (gambling and TV revenues) kicks in and you get something less wholesome than boxing in the civic basement.

His talent grew and I gotta think Olympic wins are honest and true. Now throw a guy into "boxing land" and interrupt his life with a Vietnam.....wanna talk about what other people did during that party?

He was probably an OK guy.

If you mean you were at ringside as a child watching him box no I wasn't, if you mean old enough to remember his antics then yeah I was around. Always have been more interested in competitors who go to the line and let their ability do the talking. His talent didn't need his mouth.

Interesting that Wilt Chamberlain once challenged him to a fight.

If you mean you were at ringside as a child watching him box no I wasn't, if you mean old enough to remember his antics then yeah I was around. Always have been more interested in competitors who go to the line and let their ability do the talking. His talent didn't need his mouth.

Interesting that Wilt Chamberlain once challenged him to a fight.

A lot of people who weren't boxers challenged Ali...Ali would've made them out to be a joke...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back