New trimmer line = better trimming

Status
Not open for further replies.
Color me shocked that something actually lived up to its billing. I recently purchased a cordless string trimmer. Just a smallish homeowner model for my 1/2 acre residential plot. The convenience was really nice, but the thing cut like junk. Some tall grass it would bend over instead of cutting. It would take a few passes to cut.

Some new line with a pentagonal profile was spooled onto the spool, and I gave the trimmer a go. Hot darn, it works now! Areas that would take multiple passes now took one pass. The edged areas also looked a lot neater. Thicker weeds that had given the previous line an issue were dispatched rapidly. Huh, this thing really is living up to its billing. Too bad it didn't come with that line to start, instead of the bargain-basement line.

Just proves the old saw that better consumables means better tool performance.

I recently got what I assumed would be better line, but im not really.
http://www.amazon.com/Husqvarna-639005102-Titanium-Trimmer-095-Inch/dp/B000N1XPMG?ie=UTF8&*Version*=1&*entries*=0

It is much heavier than standard line, and the motor sounds different when its in use. I have no doubt its more durable, but I'm not sure if its better or worse in other ways.

Trimmer line does seem to be one place where getting the "good stuff" pays off. I have some plastic braided twist line in that works really well. Never seems to break off at the head and feeds out very easily.

Originally Posted By: Nate1979
Do you have model info of this trimmer line?

Craftsman model 85902 trimmer line.

It looks pretty much identical to Arnold Maxi Edge trimmer line or Cyclone 6 blade trimmer line. I'll probably buy the larger package once my little 50' roll runs out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back