Car smokes intermittently?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FCD

Sometimes when i start the engine from cold i see some blue smoke coming out the tail pipes, just a little not clouds, but other days i notice it doesn't smoke at all on a cold startup, it seems that in the summer it doesn't smoke as much as in the winter. is this due to thermal expansion or?? swelling of valve stem seals and such?.
I've had a friend drive behind me at all kinds of speeds from stop and go traffic to driving on the motorway ( highway ) at 80 Mph, the car doesn't smoke at all when warm

Sounds like very normal leakage at the valve seals. Once they move a bit everything is fine.

The other possible issue is oil buildup somewhere in the intake tract. Depends on your intake design...

That car of yours is certainly old enough to have a puff or 2' Seals, and a general look see wouldn't hurt. The repairs must be constant on a 40 yr old daily driver. How big is the island the Capri is on? If you're driving only a few miles a day. Then maybe, I would start topping with a dino 20w50 and not do a darn thing but drive as needed.

The Island is called Mallorca you can look it up only about 50 miles from south to north or east to west, i do not use it as a daily, but i drive it a few times every week... i only do about 1200 miles a year mostly highway i don't short trip it but and the engine most always gets up to opearting temp

If I had a nickel for every time you started a thread about this thing's valve guide seals being bad I'd be a rich man!

crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
If I had a nickel for every time you started a thread about this thing's valve guide seals being bad I'd be a rich man!

crackmeup2.gif

He's never going to replace them. It just doesn't matter on a 1200 mi year car. A car like that could have a lot of problems and it just don't matter, especially when you're on an island. Drive 50 miles then turn around. Heck AAA tows you that far for no charge.

Last edited:
Yes i've mentioned it a lot of times and i've started quite a few threads on what oils to use etc... but i will do it Nick, and you won't see much more threads regarding oilf rom me since i've figured what i will use from now on

Did you figure out what to do with the tyres? IMO you'd best leave the current ones on if you don't want to go to 14", the new ones aren't noticeably better in the wet.

I'm not gonna change them right now but i will soon, these Yokohama S306s are really good but since they are so old they aren't very good in the wet.
I'm going with Maxxis 510Es'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back