Which water softener and heater?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm moving soon and the new house doesn't have a water softener so I want to put one in. I think I've narrowed it down to these two. Any thoughts or experiences with them?

http://www.discountwatersofteners.com/water-softeners/on-demand-softeners/genesis-softeners.html

http://www.pelicanwater.com/

Some of the Pelican reviews say it doesn't work as well as a regular salt softener, and some are glowing, so not sure what to think. A happy medium might be the Genesis ones in the first link that still use salt and regenerate, but do it more efficiently.

Also looking to replace the water heater since it is 23 years old and I would want a bigger one (50 gal.) anyway. It seems there are three main manufacturers: Bradford White, Rheem (also makes Richmond), and AO Smith (also makes Whirlpool and Kenmore). And it looks like Bradford White are the best, then Rheem, then AO Smith. Any thoughts here?

I'd suggest taking yours with you.

Never heard of Pelican.

Water heaters last a very long time, especially downstream of an effective WS, when their anode rods are routinely changed.

Moving 1000+ miles away and the current house doesn't have a water softener so taking it with isn't an option.

The Pelican softeners don't use salt or electricity.

I have a Hellenbrand iron curtain water filter.
It is the saltless twin tank style. Worth every penny.
Like zero maintenance, it back flushes itself every so often. Water tastes GREAT.
Don't get anything with salt tank. Thank me later.

I have a Hellenbrand iron curtain water filter.
It is the saltless twin tank style. Worth every penny.
Like zero maintenance, it back flushes itself every so often. Water tastes GREAT.
Don't get anything with salt tank. Thank me later.

Natural gas on demand water heater sounds like a great idea as well.

One thing about the tankless water heaters is that they turn off when you stop the flow of water. So, if you're washing dishes, every time you stop the water and restart it, you have to wait for the water to warm back up a little but. Obviously, on the flip side, unlimited hot water is nice though. After spending time at places with tankless, my vote would be with a normal 50 gallon gas heater.

I don't have Genesis but have had Fleck for a very long time. It's one of those metered ones that regenerates based on how much water has been used.

Can't comment on the Pelican -- their reviews seem to have been written by their sales people.

Most water softeners are all the same, really little difference and only a couple of manufacturers. My last one I got at Menards was a Morton. Same as my old Sears but this one has the water quantity sensor so only runs when it's needed.

Back in the 60's, early 70's my dad had a water softener business. After I came back from California, I worked part time for him and learned all the details of ion exchange. I would like to know about the chemistry used in the Pelican system. Does anyone have a link to this?

TIA

Wayne

Originally Posted By: Oldmoparguy1
Back in the 60's, early 70's my dad had a water softener business. After I came back from California, I worked part time for him and learned all the details of ion exchange. I would like to know about the chemistry used in the Pelican system. Does anyone have a link to this?

TIA

Wayne

Answered my own question.

Never mind.. Pseudoscience at best..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back