Cloyes timing components? Any insight?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi folks,

Been having some issues with a mild rattle in my Ranger.

Its an '05 so supposedly past the chain guide years.

I replaced the front and right side tensioners with cloyes units. The right side seemed ok although it still made a mild noise.

I replaced the front with the same and the tensioner was faulty. It made a wild noise on startup and wouldn't pressurize.

I put a Ford part in and its back to quiet again. The front guides looks great after taking off the timing cover, but I'm wondering if this mild noise is a soft right hand tensioner.

I've heard good things about clouds, maybe they just don't like the 4.0?

Any thoughts? The noise is at 2500 rpm as usual but is very faint now.

Last edited:
Cloyes was a good name but who knows today, things change monthly it seems.
When they say things like..
Quote:
We are a global manufacturer and supplier of timing drive systems.

That's a pretty good indicator they are using some either Made in Mexico or Chicom rubbish. For stuff like this or jobs with high hour labor times use OE only, the aftermarket can generally no longer be trusted to provide high quality parts.

they used to be very good. not sure now. their technical support is horrible; as is their customer service. just last year I installed all new Cloyes components on my car; within 5k miles the chain was too long to be in service. I left messages 2X to obtain a spec for how many links in how many inches ( a common measurement for chain length service) and they never responded. for that reason, I will not use them again.

Thanks guys, that's good enough for me! I'll put an OE tensioner in the right as well.

Yeah, After one that I wasn't too impressed with, and another that flat out didn't work....I'm going to pull them and return them.

Ryan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back