How the Takata’s failures led to lethal products

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is scary is that manufacturers continue to install Takata airbags that will need to be recalled in the as well some are still installing RECALLED airbags. All because there is not enough production capacity.

Originally Posted By: Nate1979
What is scary is that manufacturers continue to install Takata airbags that will need to be recalled in the as well some are still installing RECALLED airbags. All because there is not enough production capacity.

I have a '16 RDX which is said to be safe.
Older Acura owners have to wait many months for the repair and many have rental vehicles which is costing Honda millions.Let alone the lawsuits from the families of people killed.
This is just the Acura and Honda line.
Now Toyota/Lexus and others have the problem which will take years to solve if ever.
All because of Takata greed.

I find it interesting how many people were upset and felt betrayed by Volkswagen for cheating emissions. I remember seeing one lady on the news crying because she drove a car for a year that was hurting the environment and wanted to sue.
smirk.gif

Yet we get a letter in the mail from Honda for my mom's 2011 Fit saying the airbag can kill you, but the parts won't be available to fix it until the fall and there is nothing they can do.

Don't speed, speeding kills! Wear your seat belt! And oh yeah, don't get into a slow speed collision that triggers the airbag because it might kill you.

Business and profits is above human life. VW was ordered to stop selling their TDIs just for little extra NOx that did not kill anyone, although the media frenzy and some "experts" tried to extrapolate it. (VW was on the record against the EVs and just look at them now signing the same EV tune).
Here we have documented cases of human life being lost, but since there is no extra hidden needs to be pursued, the business is conducted as usual.

First of all I like to say being in several somewhat severe crashes. It takes a awful lot to set off that airbag. I never set one off and I did alot of damage. So I am thinking if you are in a crash, it may not even make a difference because you may get killed without it too. I think they should disable them if the owner wants it disabled. It's a total mess. Second, I have yet to meet a environmentalist I don't think is a total nut job. Just ignore them and maybe they will go bury themselves and become one with the planet.

Originally Posted By: Panzerman
First of all I like to say being in several somewhat severe crashes. It takes a awful lot to set off that airbag. I never set one off and I did alot of damage. So I am thinking if you are in a crash, it may not even make a difference because you may get killed without it too. I think they should disable them if the owner wants it disabled. It's a total mess. Second, I have yet to meet a environmentalist I don't think is a total nut job. Just ignore them and maybe they will go bury themselves and become one with the planet.

I've seen a couple of 35 MPH crashes cause the airbags to inflate.Doesn't take much if the vehicle's impact point is at the sensor.
My son's '08 Civic being one.Fortunately,no issue with the airbag.

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
Business and profits is above human life. VW was ordered to stop selling their TDIs just for little extra NOx that did not kill anyone, although the media frenzy and some "experts" tried to extrapolate it. (VW was on the record against the EVs and just look at them now signing the same EV tune).
Here we have documented cases of human life being lost, but since there is no extra hidden needs to be pursued, the business is conducted as usual.

Exactly.

What VW did wasn't right, but at the same time the government is being hypocritical. They want to be strict on VW for cheating the system, yet I see tons of diesel trucks with illegal "offroad" tunes driving around on the street and nothing is enforced. One diesel truck with an offroad tune probably puts out more emissions than 1000 TDIs. Heck, I followed a school bus today that had a thick cloud of blue smoke coming out of it the whole time, and it pretty much engulfed the two cars directly behind it.

Originally Posted By: Colt

I've seen a couple of 35 MPH crashes cause the airbags to inflate.Doesn't take much if the vehicle's impact point is at the sensor.

Agreed.

It's all about triggering the sensors. I got T-boned in my previous Cherokee by a car doing 50+ mph. Pushed my Jeep about 10 feet, but no airbags deployed because I was hit in the driver side front wheel area. I've seen a slow speed rear end accident cause the airbags to deploy. A lot of cars got totaled that way when I worked at the insurance company. They would have an older vehicle, rear end someone, and the airbags would go off. The cost to fix the airbags would total the car.

Originally Posted By: jeepman3071

Agreed.

It's all about triggering the sensors. I got T-boned in my previous Cherokee by a car doing 50+ mph. Pushed my Jeep about 10 feet, but no airbags deployed because I was hit in the driver side front wheel area. I've seen a slow speed rear end accident cause the airbags to deploy. A lot of cars got totaled that way when I worked at the insurance company. They would have an older vehicle, rear end someone, and the airbags would go off. The cost to fix the airbags would total the car.

It's a shame when airbags go off in a low speed causing no injury crash.Airbag deployment kills resale value much worse than a typical Carfax hit.

I believe a lot of new cars, since they all have so many airbags, not only have the regular airbag sensors, but also accelerometers and gyro sensors. Almost every smartphone has it, so why not cars. This way the manufacturers can really dial in when and in what type of a crash each airbag deploys. This way they can reduce the risk of injury due to airbag deployment when it was not needed.

That is why you can see so many crashes where the airbags did not deploy, or only certain ones did. Where before all airbags went off.

How did one company become almost a sole source supplier? Seems whenever the government "mandates" something this sort of thing happens.

I was in a car accident in a friend's car recently, and all 7 airbags went off in a front-end at 30 mph.

Deeply appreciated not being gutted by an explosion of shrapnel.

Airbags in my Rams are disabled while the mysterious parts roll in.

Here's a money making scheme... Kevlar airbag covers. Who cares if they don't really work. Takata didn't.

Last edited:
I think the same thing can be said for Nissan's EVAP System.

I just had an EVAP System replacement in the Frontier.

I had to have one replaced in the '03 PathFinder.

These companies need to better scrutinize their suppliers.

Ok, that's pretty much the scariest article I've ever read...I read the whole thing.

Some questions:
1) Is Honda replacing the Takata ammonium nitrate bags with another manufacturer that doesn't use ammonium nitrate?

2) I have quite a few new Honda's (see my sig block) are those Takata bombs?

This is nuts, makes me want to go and disable all the airbags in all my Honda's...

Originally Posted By: sasilverbullet
Ok, that's pretty much the scariest article I've ever read...I read the whole thing.

Some questions:
1) Is Honda replacing the Takata ammonium nitrate bags with another manufacturer that doesn't use ammonium nitrate?

This is nuts, makes me want to go and disable all the airbags in all my Honda's...

Did you get a recall notice?
My son has a '13 Civic that doesn't show a recall here.

https://vinrcl.safercar.gov/vin/

Older Acura owners have to wait many months for the repair and many have rental vehicles which is costing Honda millions.Let alone the lawsuits from the families of people killed.
Now Toyota/Lexus and others have the problem which will take years to solve if ever.

I bet nobody is getting paid rental vehicles during the wait, regardless of manufacturer. The sheer numbers make that absolutely impossible, especially for Honda which had more Takata stabilized ammonium nitrate bags for more years than anyone else.

My 08 Ram is on the parts availability waiting list. The corporate site says parts are available, but the distribution is usually biased toward "high risk" (humid) climates, so service departments in my area may be pretty far down on the priority list. I should just remove the dang thing rather than risk it, even though I don't put a lot of miles on the truck.

Originally Posted By: sasilverbullet

Some questions:

The only way to tell is to enter each vehicle's VIN at:

https://vinrcl.safercar.gov/vin/

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum

I bet nobody is getting paid rental vehicles during the wait, regardless of manufacturer. The sheer numbers make that absolutely impossible, especially for Honda which had more Takata stabilized ammonium nitrate bags for more years than anyone else.

My 08 Ram is on the parts availability waiting list. The corporate site says parts are available, but the distribution is usually biased toward "high risk" (humid) climates, so service departments in my area may be pretty far down on the priority list. I should just remove the dang thing rather than risk it, even though I don't put a lot of miles on the truck.

Many RDX owners on the RDX forum on Acurazine are in loaners and Enterprise rentals for months paid by Honda.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back