Leak at Timing Chain Cover

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it possible that using a High Mileage oil would stop a small leak (3 drips a week on garage floor) at the timing chain cover on a 2010 Chevy Traverse?

The plan is to eventually have the seal/gasket replaced but in the mean time I was thinking about trying this.

Also, this leak developed right after having the power steering pump replaced under warranty. Any possibility that it's related somehow? Or just a coincidence...

Thanks in advance!

Its just a coincidence the leak occurred after PS pump replacement.
The timing cover on the 3.6 does not use a conventional gasket but uses an RTV sealant. Do not use any sort of stop leak or HM oil, the esters used to swell seals is aggressive to RTV.

When there is no break in the RTV to cause a leak the additional seal swellers in HM oil is not so aggressive that it deteriorates the RTV but once the seal is broken more of the sealing surface is exposed and can actually be made worse with it. RTV doesn't swell like a rubber or polymer seal it just deteriorates.
The best ting to do IMO is live with it until its repaired, at that time it may be prudent to have the chain, tensioners and slippers replaced as preventive maintenance as it is all exposed anyway.

Reactions: pbm
Originally Posted By: Trav
The timing cover on the 3.6 does not use a conventional gasket but uses an RTV sealant. Do not use any sort of stop leak or HM oil, the esters used to swell seals is aggressive to RTV.

When there is no break in the RTV to cause a leak the additional seal swellers in HM oil is not so aggressive that it deteriorates the RTV but once the seal is broken more of the sealing surface is exposed and can actually be made worse with it. RTV doesn't swell like a rubber or polymer seal it just deteriorates.
The best ting to do IMO is live with it until its repaired, at that time it may be prudent to have the chain, tensioners and slippers replaced as preventive maintenance as it is all exposed anyway.

Thanks! Most informative reply I've read in a long time. Much appreciated.

For 3 drops a week, I'd put a cheap cookie sheet and put it under the car and be done.

Originally Posted By: Leo99
For 3 drops a week, I'd put a cheap cookie sheet and put it under the car and be done.
Good advice. Looking towards the future though as leaks tend to get worse with time.

+1 If you are going to fix the cover you might as well do the whole job. I would also hold off and do the whole thing

Originally Posted By: SavagePatch

Also, this leak developed right after having the power steering pump replaced under warranty. Any possibility that it's related somehow? Or just a coincidence...

Thanks in advance!

Do any of the bolts that have to be removed to R&R the power steering pump pass through the timing cover? If so, then the seal could have been disturbed during that service. If not- then just coincidence or else some PS fluid got slopped around and that's what you're seeing dripping off the engine now. You might clean the area thoroughly to rule that possibility out.

No bolts go through the cover, its mounted on the left side of the engine. Good point about verifying the leak source especially when repair work was done close to it.

Good point about verifying the leak source especially when repair work was done close to it.

Will do. The PS fluid is red Dexron III though and the drips are a dirty amber.

Clean it well and use a UV dye kit in the oil, it will show you the exact point of the leak. Amazon has them cheap enough as do most parts stores.
You can also get dye for coolant (GM dexcool needs a special dye) The dye is harmless in the oil so no need for an oil change after use.
Check at night or low light condition, the leak and its source will be clear.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000NBW...98QJER6Z9BMDWCH

http://www.amazon.com/Interdynamics-374C...7411H2D7QPKAP72

I second the idea of using "dye".
Get the 'oil base', compatible with oils, (not for coolant).
Also, get the Ultra-Violet FLASHLIGHT.
Very inexpensive at Advance Auto, or Auto Zone.

I just had my Timing Cover GASKET replaced by indy. mechanic, 7 hrs. of labor.
Two days later I see something leaking on my garage floor,,,, dam!
I put the 'dye' into the motor oil and next day,,,, guess what ?
On the outside of timing cover I see the 'dye' glowing.
I went back to the mechanic and talked about the leak and using the dye.

My appointment to have it redone (under warranty) is in 2 Weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back